SIOUX FALLS-Kimball/White Lake cruised to the Class B state championship in the girls 1,600-meter sprint medley relay last season.
With the graduation of Sage Pulse, Kennedy Leiferman, Dani Deffenbaugh and Christine Gaulke returned Saturday to help give the WiLdKats a chance to repeat as state champions on Saturday in SDHSAA Track and Field Championships at Howard Wood Field.
Leiferman, Deffenbaugh, Gaulke and Ryann Grussing proved to be in a class of their own as they raced to another state title in 4 minutes, 25.88 seconds. When Gaulke crossed the finish line as the anchor running the 800-meter leg, Kimball/White Lake was more than seven seconds ahead of second-place Andes Central/Dakota Christian.
Deffenbaugh, Gaulke and Grussing are eighth-graders, while Leiferman-who placed eighth in the 100-meter dash-is a sophomore, which leaves the WiLdKats with the opportunity to once again defend their crown next season.
Risseeuw, Heesch place in four events apiece
Mount Vernon/Plankinton senior Savannah Risseeuw wasn't able to defend her state championship in the 300-meter hurdles, but she placed in four Class A events.
Risseeuw took third in the 100-meter hurdles (15.48 seconds) and 300-meter hurdles (48.02 seconds). She also joined Emilee Fox, Berkeley Engelland and Dacey Rihanek in sixth-place finishes in the 4x200-meter relay (1:49.60) and the 4x400-meter relay (4:15.71).
Rihanek also took seventh in the 400-meter dash in 1 minute, 1.68 seconds and teamed with Fox, Maria Baker and Engelland in taking third in the sprint medley in 4:28.79.
Noah Heesch also placed in four events, placing sixth in the Class A boys 110 hurdles (16.03 seconds) and 300 hurdles (41.65 seconds), while also teaming with John Kubal, Josh Crownover and Joey Slama as Bon Homme took fifth in the 4x200 relay (1:35.15) and seventh in the 4x100 relay (45.73 seconds).
Crownover, Kubal, Slama and Isaac Crownover also placed seventh in the 4x400 relay in 3:38.78.
Sisters Lauren, Alexa and Coutney Sees teamed with Shalayne Nagel as Avon placed in three Class B girls relays. The Pirates took third in the 4x200 relay (1:50.18) and the 4x400 relay (4:12.83), while also placing eighth in the sprint medley (4:40.39). Nagel also took fourth in the open 400-meter dash in 1:02.50.
Corsica-Stickney also placed in three Class B girls relays, as Kayla Fischer, Avery Broughton, Abby Dethlefsen and Courtney Menning led the Jaguars to fifth in the 4x100 relay (52.61) and sixth in the 4x200 relay (1:51.63). Menning, Broughton, Raven Barse and Lauren Bruinsma also placed fifth in the 4x400 relay with a time of 4:19.66.
Menno senior Levi Heckenlaible placed second behind Wall's Andrew Law in a pair of Class B hurdle races. Heckenlaible was second in the 110 hurdles with a time of 15.43 seconds and second in the 300 hurdles in 41.57 seconds.
Freeman's Braxton Schmidt was sixth in the Class B 400-meter dash in 52.09 seconds and eighth in the 200-meter dash in 23.26 seconds. On the girls side, Freeman senior Dayna Roth was third in the 100 (12.48 seconds) and the 200 (26.02).
Corsica-Stickney's Caysen Eide was fifth in the Class B100 (11.60) and fourth in the 200 (22.98).
The Platte-Geddes quartet of Sawyer Naasz, Briana Degroot, Ally Holter and Kaetlyn Engebretson was second in the Class A girls 4x400 relay in 4:12.76. Holter also took sixth in the 400 (1:00.92) and Engebretson was eighth in the 100 (13.22).
Other placewinners in Class A include:
• Wagner eighth-grader Lizzie Tyler was fourth in the girls 1,600 meters at 5:23.11, while Winner's Sidda Schuyler was sixth (5:23.93) and Chamberlain's Allison Hough was eighth (5:25.34).
• Winner's Kelsey Sachtjen was seventh in the high jump with a leap of 4 feet, 10 inches.
• Chamberlain's Avany Long took eighth in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 49.80 seconds.
Other placewinners in Class B include:
• Andes Central/Dakota Christian's Tyra Medicine Horn was fourth in the girls discus with a throw of 119 feet, 10 inches, while Scotland's Delanie VanDriel was seventh (115-10).
• Gregory's Jessy Jo VanDerWerff, Broklynn Kenze, Megan Warnke and Emma Thomas placed fourth in the girls 4x400 relay in 4:33.44.
• Hanson's Hayden Bahmuller was seventh in the boys discus (142-05), while the Hanson girls 4x400 relay team placed sixth (4:19.84) and Alyssa Moschell was eighth in the 1,600 meters (5:40.53).
• Freeman's Josie Fuhrmann was sixth in the 300 hurdles in 49.21.
• Burke's Taron Serr was seventh in the 110 hurdles in 16.81 seconds.
• Menno's Joe Grassmid placed eighth in the 1,600 meters at 4:43.94.
• The Tripp-Delmont/Armour 4x200 girls relay team of Hannah Whitney, Ally Bertram, Alyssa Whitney and Kianna Payer placed seventh in 1:53.16.