Area basketball roundup for Jan. 23: Howard girls down MCM to improve to 11-2
A light Monday night slate featured several top performances.
HOWARD, S.D. — A 27-12 stretch spanning the second and third quarters, along with an Abby Aslesen double-double boosted the Howard High School girls basketball team to a 51-42 home victory over Class A foe McCook Central/Montrose on Monday night.
The visiting Fighting Cougars started strong, pulling ahead 16-10 after eight minutes, but the next two quarters were controlled by the Tigers’ defense, which limited MCM to six points in both the second and third quarters.
Meanwhile, the Howard offense kept churning. The Tigers scored at least 12 points in every quarter, including a 15-6 advantage in the second.
The contest featured three ties and four lead changes, with Howard owning the largest advantage by either side at 11 points at one point in the third quarter.
Aslesen recorded game-highs with 18 points and 12 rebounds and also had one block and one steal. Kate Connor chipped in 10 points and five rebounds, while Dakota Spader had nine points and four rebounds.
MCM got 11 points, four rebounds, two assists and four steals from Aubree Kranz, and Abby Wagner had 10 points and four rebounds.
Howard (11-2) turns around to host Bridgewater-Emery on Tuesday, while MCM (6-5) faces off with Chester Area on Thursday, in Salem, as part of the Big East Conference tournament.
- Ava Lingemann helped Ethan to a 52-22 win over Canistota, finishing with 19 points, four rebounds, three assists and seven steals.
- As Lyman cruised to a 73-45 win over Colome, Skyler Volmer dropped in 24 points to go with eight rebounds and four assists, and Mak Scott wasn’t far behind at 21 points, seven rebounds and three assists.
- Kimball/White Lake snuck by Platte-Geddes, 42-39, behind Ryann Nielsen’s 16 points and seven rebounds and Harley Namanny’s 13 points and three assists. In the loss, Karly VanDerWerff had 13 points and 6 rebounds.
- Keelie Kuil notched 19 points, eight rebounds, two assists and five steals, and Kylie Sachtjen added 16 points and three steals in Winner’s 61-47 win against Crow Creek.
- Potter County’s Tyler Simon surpassed 1,000 career points with a 20-point, eight-rebound outing, but the Battlers came up short in a 59-47 loss to Mobridge-Pollock, which was led by 16 points, six rebounds and two assists from Mariah Goehring.
- Lennox breezed to a 67-22 win over Madison, led by Dani Highum, who posted 20 points, seven rebounds and three assists.
Aberdeen Christian 64, Warner 41
Clark/Willow Lake 55, Great Plains Lutheran 25
De Smet 56, Castlewood 36
Deuel 77, Britton-Hecla 51
Estelline/Hendricks 66, Wilmot 35
Faith 63, Philip 59
Freeman 49, Mitchell Christian 42
Groton Area 77, Northwestern 52
Lennox 69, West Central 42
Oldham-Ramona/Rutland 51, Sioux Falls Lutheran 50
Richland (N.D.) 63, Sisseton 55
St. Mary’s (Neb.) 53, Gregory 50
Vermillion 70, Pine Ridge 52
Wakpala 58, Strasburg/Zeeland (N.D.) 43
Wausa (Neb.) 56, Gayville-Volin 33
Burke 50, Stuart (Neb.) 32
Corsica-Stickney 48, Bridgewater-Emery 27
Dell Rapids St. Mary 56, Garretson 43
Deuel 46, Britton-Hecla 42
Ethan 52, Canistota 22
Freeman 59, Mitchell Christian 18
Groton Area 39, Northwestern 33
Howard 51, McCook Central/Montrose 42
Kimball/White Lake 42, Platte-Geddes 39
Lennox 67, Madison 22
Lyman 73, Colome 45
Mobridge-Pollock 59, Potter County 47
Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter (N.D.) 56, Herreid/Selby Area 46
New Underwood 50, Kadoka Area 46
Sioux Falls Christian 67, West Central 55
Sisseton 62, Richland (N.D.) 33
South Border (N.D.) 76, North Central 68
Warner 57, Aberdeen Christian 13
Wausa (Neb.) 44, Gayville-Volin 30
Webster Area 53, Waverly-South Shore 17
Winner 61, Crow Creek 47