Area basketball roundup for Feb. 27: MCS boys offense erupts in Region 3B tournament win
Prep basketball action from the last regular-season day for Class AA, as well as playoff action from Class A and B.
MITCHELL — Aiden Lieber erupted for 40 points as No. 8-seed Mitchell Christian School toppled ninth-seeded Sioux Falls Lutheran, 79-51, at home in the first round of the Region 3B tournament Monday.
Lieber went 14-for-20 from the floor and 7-for-11 from 3-point range, while Braedon Nebelsick chipped in 20 points on 6-for-8 shooting in the win.
Nahum Anderberg added 11 points, Syver Enga had six and Carson Johnson scored two as the Golden Eagles went 26-for-52 (50%) from the floor and 11-for-25 (44%) from 3-point range.
MCS led 36-12 after the first quarter and had a 56-22 advantage at halftime. The 79 points marked the most the Golden Eagles scored in a game all season.
MCS (9-12) advances to the quarterfinals of the Region 3B tournament where it will take on No. 1 seed Ethan on the road at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
- Bon Homme was powered by 24 points from both Riley Rothschadl and Landon Bares in a 71-59 win over Sanborn Central/Woonsocket. The Cavaliers also got 12 points from Chapin Cooper, while Jeff Boschee picked up 26 points and 10 rebounds for the Blackhawks.
- In Gayville-Volin’s 56-53 win over Menno, Spencer Karstens poured in 27 points and seven assists. Maveric Smith had 17 points for the Wolves in the defeat.
- Elkton-Lake Benton’s Tanner Drietz scored 19 points in a 59-54 win over Flandreau, while Paul Parsley had 19 for Flandreau. Pierre took down Class AA No. 1-ranked Sioux Falls Jefferson, 84-73, behind 25 points from Jackson Edman and 24 points from Benjamin Heisler. For Jefferson, Griffin Wilde picked up 25 points and Taylen Ashley scored 20 to go along with five assists.
- A 20-point effort from Ryder Falkenhagen and 19 points from Alex Tanner helped Potter County move past Sunshine Bible Academy, 60-32.
- A big night from Caden Hojer that featured 25 points and 12 rebounds propelled Oldham-Ramona/Rutland to a 54-33 win over Arlington.
Class AA regular season
Pierre 84, Sioux Falls Jefferson 73
Sioux Falls Roosevelt 61, Aberdeen Central 57
Class A — First-round region tournament games
Elkton-Lake Benton 59, Flandreau 54
Bon Homme 71, Sanborn Central/Woonsocket 59
Class B — First-round region tournament games
Britton-Hecla 44, Wilmot 32
Oldham-Ramona/Rutland 54, Arlington 33
Mitchell Christian 79, Sioux Falls Lutheran 51
Gayville-Volin 56, Menno 53
Avon 54, Andes Central/Dakota Christian 48 (OT)
Potter County 60, Sunshine Bible Academy 32
Oelrichs 48, Edgemont 45
Bison 74, McIntosh 38
Newell 56, Takini 45
Class AA regular season
Pierre 65, Sioux Falls Jefferson 58
Sioux Falls Roosevelt 53, Aberdeen Central 46
Class A — Semifinal region tournament games
Milbank 40, Groton Area 37 (OT)
Sisseton 67, Aberdeen Roncalli 56
Flandreau 36, Florence/Henry 25
Hamlin 58, Sioux Valley 32
Class B — Semifinal region tournament games
Leola/Frederick Area 46, Northwestern 33
Warner 76, Hitchcock-Tulare 44