To the Editor:
Sen. Mike Rounds submitted a “Primer on US-Iran Relations” in his weekly column. Unfortunately, Sen. Rounds, in your haste to support the out-of-control President, you left out key historical facts:
1. In 1953, the CIA led a coup against the democratically elected Prime Minister, Mosaddegh, and installed the Shah who brutally repressed and killed his opponents.
2. In 1967, the U.S. helped the Shah build Iran's first nuclear reactor.
3. The Iranians overthrew the Shah during the 1979 revolution. An angry mob of students charged the U.S. Embassy and took 52 American hostages for 444 days.
4. Saddam Hussein, who the U.S. and the Arab nations supported, invaded Iran and the two countries fought to a stalemate killing over 1 million people.
5. In 2013, the U.S. led a coalition of European nations. China and Russia to freeze Iran's nuclear program. There were no significant hostilities by Iran during the brief nuclear freeze.
6. Trump pulled out of the deal in 2018 and launched his “maximum sanctions on Iran” campaign. Iran and its proxies then started attacks on the U.S. and its Saudi allies.
The President’s rash assassination of one of Iran's bad guys, General Soleimani, has brought us to the brink of war. His multiple lies have made the situation much worse. Defend him if you must but Senator, you owe us, “The whole truth nothing but the truth, so help you God.”