LETTER: Steps to help economic recovery
To the Editor:
This nation is in a crisis. We are on the verge of an economic-moral-technological stagnation that could bring this great nation to its ruin, caused not by an enemy outside our nation, but by internal partisan bickering and a coup against our President. Our government is being paralyzed.
American corporations and jobs went to China, not because of what China did, but because we stupidly turned our collective backs on the American Political Economic system and instead accepted the insanity of British Free Trade. It's time for a new paradigm. Lyndon LaRouche's Political Economic Program contains the steps we can take to get this republic back on track:
• Return to a modern version of the original 1944 Bretton Woods Agreement (dumped in 1971). That will stabilize the exchange rates of the world's currencies, so as to eliminate unproductive speculation on their fluctuations.
• Dump the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which was the beginning of taking advantage of many other countries by major American Corporations by outsourcing our production and jobs to the least-cost producing areas of the world. Instead of pursuing the geopolitically-based Trans-Pacific Partnership, join with China and a growing number of other nations in the Belt and Road Initiative.
• Get Glass-Steagall back on the law books, which worked very well from 1933 to 2000. This will once again separate and protect commercial (deposit) banking from investment (speculative) banking.
• Establish a National Bank. It will be the third one we've had. Its purpose is to extend what some might consider vast amounts of credit for designated projects to repair our broken infrastructure while building brand new advanced power, water, transportation and communications systems all over the country, thus raising up our entire economy, while providing productive employment for millions.
• Engage the best minds of the nation in an internationally cooperative "crash" effort to bring into being controlled fusion energy. Fusion and related plasma technologies will revolutionize everything.
• Boldly go into space. Support the President's Artemis program to once again send humans to the moon by 2024.