To the Editor:
They say history repeats itself. Especially when people aren't wise enough to understand what happened before.
A man by the name of Edward Gibbon studied why the Roman Empire declined and fell, trying to determine how a nation could be so great and then suddenly collapse. How could that happen and could it happen again?
When reading the five reasons Mr. Gibbon came up with and could the United States be far behind? Here are the five reasons:
• Raid increase in divorce and undermining of the sanctity of the home with is the backbone of society.
• Higher and higher taxes: people spending money for food and celebrations.
• The mad craze for pleasure, with sports becoming more exciting and more brutal each year.
• The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy lies within; people becoming decadent.
• The decay of religion; Faith fades into mere form and loses touch with life, becoming impotent to guide it.
King Solomon said "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people" (Proverbs 14:34). The Psalmist wrote "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalm 33:12)
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the result will be that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.
From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From abundance to complacency;
From Complacency to apathy;
From Apathy to dependence;
From dependence back to bondage.
Those of us who know God personally through Faith in Jesus Christ must keep our eyes on Him. May God have mercy on America.