ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

LETTER: Kidney wait times are too long

To the Editor: Wendy Royston wrote Saturday about three residents with rare forms of kidney failure (two had hereditary kidney failure, one had IgA nephropathy). All three were on dialysis facing long waiting times for a kidney transplant. What p...

2252474+letter to the editor.jpg
(metro creative)

To the Editor:

Wendy Royston wrote Saturday about three residents with rare forms of kidney failure (two had hereditary kidney failure, one had IgA nephropathy). All three were on dialysis facing long waiting times for a kidney transplant. What people don't realize is that most kidney failure is preventable (1), although nobody in health care wants you to know it (2), So far, health care

has won the battle and kept the public ignorant.

But if 90 percent of kidney failure were prevented, the remaining 10 percent of kidney patients, like the three described by Ms. Royston, could all get a cadaver kidney (from a dead person) right away.

That's because 100,000 Americans currently go on dialysis every year. Reducing this by 90 percent leaves only 10,000 people who need a kidney. The number of cadaver kidney transplants has been over 13,000 for the past three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

David W Moskowitz MD FACP

Hollywood, Florida

What To Read Next
During last winter (21-22) they should have let a lot more water go down the river all winter long. It might have prevented the flooding.
As things were, once we had paychecks in hand, we carved out money for rent, groceries, the laundromat and the Sunday collection plate.
They are more interested in furthering their political ambitions and what will benefit them and their future.
We have to discuss the principles upon which the future order of humanity can be built in order to be able to self-govern ourselves.