COVID-19 deaths top 2,600 in South Dakota, new record for most active cases
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Another 19 South Dakotans have died with COVID-19, the state Department of Health reported Friday, Jan. 21, raising the state's death toll past 2,600.
The state also set a new record for the number of active cases.
There are now 2,601 South Dakotans who have died with COVID-19. In January alone, state health officials have reported 115 fatalities tied to the virus.
The active case count — which measures the number of people newly tested positive for COVID-19 against new recoveries — has climbed every reporting day in the past month, and surged again Friday, jumping another 1,110 to 35,196. That's nearly 16,000 more cases than the previous surge peak in November 2020. The active case count has set a new record every day over the last eight reporting days.
The day's reported hospitalizations slipped slightly from their highest point since mid-December 2020, falling six to 397 people in South Dakota hospitals with COVID-19.
The following are the state Department of Health COVID-19 case rates, deaths, hospitalizations and vaccinations tracked by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of Tuesday. All data are the latest available but should be considered preliminary and could be updated at a later date by health officials.
- INITIAL DOSE ADMINISTERED (IF 2-DOSE VACCINE): 647,720 people, 73.2% of state's population*
- FULLY VACCINATED: 516,850 people, 58.4% of state's population
- BOOSTER DOSE RECEIVED: 194,395 people, 37.6% of state's vaccinated population
*Note: The percentage presented here via the CDC differs from the state Department of Health percentage posted on its online dashboard, because the department's data indicates percentage of state population age 5 and older, not the state's total population. The CDC hadn't updated South Dakota vaccination data from from the previous day by deadline.
Statewide case rates
- NEW CASES: 2,183 (seven-day daily average: 3,494)
- CURRENT ACTIVE CASES: 35,196
- TOTAL CASES: 178,859
- TOTAL RECOVERED: 178,859
- NEW HOSPITALIZATIONS: 44 (seven-day daily average: 59)
- ACTIVE HOSPITALIZATIONS: 397
- TOTAL HOSPITALIZATIONS: 9,662
- DEATHS, NEWLY REPORTED AMONG CASES: 19
- TOTAL DEATHS AMONG CASES: 2,601