City announces final collection information
During Spring Cleanup Week, some residents placed items on the curb, in addition to the typical furniture and appliances, or items were placed on the curb after the collection crew had been through their neighborhood.
All such items must be removed from the curb by Monday, May 6. If they remain on the curb after that date, they will be disposed of properly and the current occupant will be billed for those services.
Grass clippings, leaves and other soft compostable items are accepted at the City of Mitchell drop off site located at 1405 WS. Eighth Street. The hours of operation are Monday through Sunday 8 a.m. to dark.
Batteries can be recycled by dropping them off at the City of Mitchell Landfill.
Tree branches, trees, brush of any kind can be disposed of at the City of Mitchell Landfill. Next week the landfill hours are: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday, 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
City crews will continue to pick up branches at residences curbside through May 3. However, if city crews have already picked up branches at a residential property (curbside pickup) this week along with the spring cleanup, the will not be making another trip to that residence for a pickup of branches. The extension until May 3 is because the City crews cannot pick up all the branches on the route during the originally scheduled time of April 22 through April 26.
• If branches are put curbside again at a residence that was already picked up this week, that residence will be charged $75 for each additional trip for curbside pickup.
• After this week (April 26), commercial tree companies dumping at the compost yard will be charged the landfill cost plus a $75 hauling fee per load.
• City residents can continue to drop branches at the compost yard until May 3.
• County residents can drop off branches at the landfill, at no cost, until May 3.
• After this week (April 26), commercial companies need to be dropping off at the landfill and they are going to be charged.