An ominous visit. A curious discovery. New revelations in case of missing couple Kristin Diede & Bob Anderson
TV news reporter Dan MacDonald expected worried family members, maybe a town gripped by the fact that two people just up and disappeared not that long ago. What he got in Wishek in 1995 was something far different, and the trip continues to haunt him.
Listen to Episode 8 — A Jacket and a Jail Cell
Dan MacDonald was a big city TV news reporter, but at this moment he was far from the city lights, landing on a small airstrip in a tiny North Dakota farm town — Wishek.
It was October 1995. MacDonald, a reporter for WCCO in Minneapolis, had heard about a curious missing persons case: two Minnesota residents, Kristin Diede and Bob Anderson had vanished while on a road trip to Wishek in 1993. He decided to investigate.
He expected worried family members, maybe a town gripped by the fact that two people just up and disappeared not that long ago. What he got was something far different — and included ominous events that haunt him to the present day.
And, what MacDonald didn't know, was he had landed in the middle of what was far from a cold case. North Dakota investigators were busy searching for evidence. And in some cases, they were finding it.
Photo gallery — tap arrows to see more images
Welcome to Dakota Spotlight - Season 6, Episode 8: A Jacket and a Jail Cell
In this episode, co-producers James Wolner and Jeremy Fugleberg continue their investigation into the 1993 unsolved disappearance of Minnesota residents Kristin Diede and Bob Anderson on a road trip to Wishek, North Dakota.
They'll document MacDonald's reporting trip to North Dakota, and explore the claim that North Dakota investigators made a very a very curious discovery at the Diede farmstead outside of Wishek. And, we'll explain what happened when Clyde Diede — Kristin Diede's ex-husband — had a run-in with the Logan County sheriff.
About Dakota Spotlight, Season Six: 'Vanishing Act: The Untold Story of Kristin Diede and Bob Anderson'
In this season of Dakota Spotlight, the podcast tackles a live, multi-part investigation that spans multiple states including Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota, in which host James Wolner and co-producer Jeremy Fugleberg try to figure out what happened to Kristin Anderson and Bob Anderson, who vanished in North Dakota on Aug. 15, 1993.
Police are tight-lipped about the case, but the duo works with Kristin and Bob's family members, friends and allies to untangle why they went to North Dakota, what exactly took place on Aug. 15, 1993 — the last day they were seen and why the couple has never been found.
The investigation reveals the painful holes ripped through people's lives when their loved ones disappear without a trace. The mystery of Diede and Anderson's disappearance continues to haunt many whose lives they touched.
People in this episode
- Chase: Son of Bob Anderson. Chase had long been told his dad had abandoned him, and had lived a troubled life with addiction and prison time. He later found out his dad actually hadn't abandoned him, but had instead vanished in 1993 and authorities believed he had been murdered.
- Clyde: Kristin's estranged husband. They married in 1983 and had two kids together, Mitchel and Deanna. He was convicted of 5th-degree domestic assault against Kristin, and issued a no-contact order for her, in May 1993, three months before she vanished. Later, a friend of Heather claims she had a confrontation with him outside Kristin's apartment in Bloomington. In March 1994, Clyde got a divorce from Kristin and obtained full custody of their two children. Later that year he moved to Winner, South Dakota, and opened a chiropractic practice.
- Dan: Dan was a reporter at WCCO television in Minneapolis in 1995. He flew to Wishek, North Dakota, to pursue the missing persons case, was met with hostility from the Diede family and believes he was followed around town and back to the town's airstrip. He remains haunted by the experience.
- Dean: Bob's brother, and the last Anderson family members to see him alive. He recalled a happy family, and a childhood growing up on a hobby farm.
- Diane: Bob's sister, who shared numerous memories of her brother, and their family — including a father who promoted education and told her she could do what she aspired to do in life. Diane and her husband Mike have kept careful notes and gathered information over the years about the missing persons case.
People in previous episodes
- Betty: Kristin's mother, now deceased, who told James the family had no photos of Kristin.
- Brenda: Kristin's sister, who recalled her sister enjoying cards and other games.
- Debra: Bob's sister, who recalled how he was quiet and supportive, and how much she looked up to her big brother.
- Heather: A neighbor of Kristin in Bloomington, Minnesota. She and a friend, Tiffany, befriended Kristin, helped coax her out of her shell after her marriage to Clyde had collapsed, and were the first to report her missing to law enforcement.
- Larry: Kristin's brother, who was in Wishek the weekend Kristin and Bob disappeared and remembers her as happy person but one who didn't talk much about her problems.
- Molly: An advocate at Cornerstone, a domestic violence shelter and advocacy program in Bloomington, Minnesota. Molly became Kristin's case worker and helped her navigate her relationship with her estranged husband Cylde, including her pursuit of a domestic assault charge against him.
- Sandra: Kristin's sister. Sandra saw Kristin and spoke with her at their brother Larry's place before Sandra and other members of Kristin's immediate family left for a trip to Idaho on Saturday, Aug. 14, 1993 — the day before Kristin vanished.
- Sherri: Kristin's niece, who explained that Kristin had grown estranged from the Goebel family.
- Susan: Former executive director of Cornerstone, a domestic violence shelter in Minnesota, where Kristin sought help. Susan has been a steadfast advocate for Kristin's case.
- Tiffany: A neighbor of Kristin Diede in Bloomington, Minnesota. She and friend Heather befriended Kristin. Tiffany was the last person Kristin was known to have called before vanishing with her boyfriend, Bob.
- Travis: Nephew of Kristin. He has made it his mission to better understand what might have happened to his aunt and her boyfriend in 1993.
- Wes: Retired trooper of the North Dakota Highway Patrol, stationed in Wishek, North Dakota, on Aug. 15, 1993. Kristin and Bob visited Wes on that day, the day they disappeared, to ask about legal issues regarding Kristin, Clyde and their children before leaving for the Diede farm.