ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Sioux Falls man gets 5 years for role in fatal shooting

SIOUX FALLS (AP) -- A 19-year-old Sioux Falls man has been sentenced to five years in prison after admitting to playing a role in a fatal January 2015 shooting.

SIOUX FALLS (AP) - A 19-year-old Sioux Falls man has been sentenced to five years in prison after admitting to playing a role in a fatal January 2015 shooting.

Robert Montes pleaded guilty to being an accessory to murder in August in exchange for prosecutors dropping murder and manslaughter charges against him.

Montes admitted to driving while co-defendant Conner Hanson shot and killed 18-year-old Anthony Gabriel near a Sioux Falls mall.

Montes asked for his plea deal to be tossed out after jurors found Hanson not guilty of all charges last week. Prosecutors argued that the outcome of Hanson's trial had no bearing on Montes' plea deal.

Montes was sentenced Tuesday afternoon in the Minnehaha County Courthouse.

Related Topics: CRIME
What To Read Next
Throughout the county party election season, stretching from mid-November to the end of January, delegates have succeeded in changing the makeup of key county parties, like Minnehaha and Pennington.
Members Only
“In our industry there aren’t a lot of young people in it. I like the fact that there are a lot of young people in agriculture here,” he said of the Mitchell area.
Members Only
After the departure of longtime superintendent Marje Kaiser and the hiring of Dan Trefz, who recently resigned, advocates say the specialty school needs help from lawmakers to reach its past heights.
Over the past year, the city has been mulling over bringing a secondary water source to Mitchell – a move Mayor Bob Everson said is aimed at positioning the city to grow.