School board to consider switching property, liability coverage
The Mitchell Board of Education will consider changing its provider of property and liability insurance at today's board meeting. Two insurance proposals were submitted to the board, which will review the bids during its meeting at 5 p.m. today a...
The Mitchell Board of Education will consider changing its provider of property and liability insurance at today's board meeting.
Two insurance proposals were submitted to the board, which will review the bids during its meeting at 5 p.m. today at the Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy.
One insurance proposal was submitted by Associated School Boards of South Dakota, the district's current carrier, for $235,788. The other proposal was $20,000 less from CorInsurance in Mitchell, totaling $215,043.
There was a 20 percent increase in the premium in the 2015-16 school year. Steve Culhane, the business manager of the Mitchell School District, requests that the board move the coverage from ASB to CorInsurance for the upcoming school year.
As part of a consent agenda that includes board minutes, claims and open enrollment, the board will consider the following personnel items:
• New hire (classified): Kelli Sullivan, custodian at Mitchell Career & Technical Education Academy at $12.50 per hour, eight hours per day, effective May 16, 2016.
• Transfers: Joshua Vlasman, middle school prep cook, 5.5 hours, to senior high ala carte, 7 hours, effective August 23, 2016; Lorna Sonne, senior high prep cook from 7 hours to 5.5 hours, effective August 23, 2016; Nancy Heckenlaible, senior high prep cook, 5 hours, to Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary prep cook, 4 hours, effective August 23, 2016; Linda Geidel, MCS cook, 4 hours, to senior high prep cook, 4 hours, effective August 23, 2016.
• Resignation: Ron Parks, varsity assistant track coach, effective at end of the 2015-16 school year, pending a suitable replacement.
• Mitchell Technical Institute resignation: Nathan Bowman, instructional media developer, effective June 30, 2016.
In other regular business, the board will consider:
• Approving the Mitchell High School Handbook for the 2016-17 school year.
• Approving the Elementary School Handbook for the 2016-17 school year.
• Copier bid for the next five years starting with the 2016-17 school year The current five-year agreement expires on June 30, 2016. It covers the copiers and their maintenance for both K-12 and MTI. Bids came in from A&B Business (the current provider), Office Advantage and Elite Business Systems.
• Approving the tentative agreement with the Mitchell Classified Education Association for the 2016-17 and the 2017-18 school years. The MCEA represents custodial/maintenance, food service, paraeducator and clerical employees.
• The renewal motion for the South Dakota School Districts Benefits Fund, which is the health insurance fund administered by the Associated School Boards of South Dakota and Wellmark of South Dakota. The health insurance rate will increase 10 percent, starting in July 2016 through June 30, 2017.
• Approval of the Associated School Boards workers' compensation fund, which is administered by the Associated School boards of South Dakota and Claim Associates of Sioux Falls. The total premium due is $164,339.
• Hear reports from school board members and the superintendent and provide time for public commentary.