ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

No one injured in chimney fire

The Mitchell Fire Department responded to a chimney fire shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday. Mitchell Battalion Chief Joe Dolezal said the fire was started from the chimney being used in addition to insulation material --including stucco and wood -- s...

The Mitchell Fire Department responds to a chimney fire on Saturday afternoon in the 300 block of West 2nd Avenue in Mitchell. (Matt Gade / Republic)
The Mitchell Fire Department responds to a chimney fire on Saturday afternoon in the 300 block of West Second Avenue in Mitchell. (Matt Gade / Republic)

The Mitchell Fire Department responded to a chimney fire shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday.

Mitchell Battalion Chief Joe Dolezal said the fire was started from the chimney being used in addition to insulation material -including stucco and wood - surrounding the brick fireplace inside the wall, heating up and catching on fire.

The fireplace had been used for the past couple months, according to Dolezal.

No one was injured in the fire, and the family got out safely.

Dolezal said crews had to tear out part of the wall and ceiling to get to the fire inside the home at 316 W. Second Ave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dolezal said the damage to the home is repairable.

The Mitchell Police Department also responded to the scene.

Related Topics: FIRES
What To Read Next
Special meeting to cover base bids and alternatives
Members Only
During the sentencing hearing, the judge presiding over the child pornography case that implicated David Suarez, 24, called it "unusual" and "unique."
“We’re using more water than we are guaranteed to have access to now," said City Administrator Stephanie Ellwein.
A resolution looking to allow the legislature to consider work requirements on the newly expanded Medicaid program is one step closer to the 2024 ballot.