Name released in Douglas County fatal crash

Driver was not wearing a helmet

South Dakota Highway Patrol. (Republic file photo)
We are part of The Trust Project.

A Mount Vernon man has been identified as the person who died Saturday afternoon in a motorcycle crash that occurred south of Corsica in Douglas County.

According to the South Dakota Department of Public Safety, a 2007 Harley Davidson FLHT Classic motorcycle was eastbound on U.S. Highway 281 when the vehicle went into the south ditch. The crash occurred at about 2 p.m. Saturday near mile marker 47, about three miles south of Corsica.

Chris Neuheisel, 40, was the driver and was thrown from the motorcycle. He was not wearing a helmet. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Armour where he was pronounced dead.

The South Dakota Highway Patrol, a part of the South Dakota Department of Public Safety, continues to investigate the crash. All information is preliminary at this point.

Erik Kaufman joined the Mitchell Republic in July of 2019 as an education and features reporter. He grew up in Freeman, S.D., graduating from Freeman High School. He graduated from the University of South Dakota in 1999 with a major in English and a minor in computer science. He can be reached at
What to read next
Mayor Bob Everson said the city is getting close to reaching its maximum capacity of daily water usage provided by B-Y Water District, the lone source supplying Mitchell with water.
Mayor Bob Everson said the city received a "serious offer"
Attendees to a recent meeting at a small country church on the border of Minnesota and South Dakota found armed guards at the church entrance. Then someone saw an AR-15, prompting a visit by the sheriff. It's the latest development in a battle for the soul of Singsaas Church near Astoria, South Dakota. The conflict pits a divisive new pastor and his growing nondenominational congregation, who revived the old church, and many descendants of the church's old families, worried about the future of a pioneer legacy.
Authorities from multiple agencies were on scene for roughly nine hours.