Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Third suspect identified in Lower Brule double homicide

Two 18-year-olds face murder and assault charges after Aug. 11 shooting

3042801+handcuffs-investigation23.jpg

MITCHELL — The third suspect in the Aug. 11, 2025, shooting near Lower Brule that left two young men dead has been identified as 18-year-old Jami "Boo Boo" Johnson Jr.

Johnson, who has been in custody since the start of the investigation, appeared in federal court Thursday morning in Rapid City before U.S. Magistrate Judge Daneta Wollmann alongside 18-year-old Kingston Bagola.

ADVERTISEMENT

Johnson and Bagola are each charged with two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Tayshawn Battese and Teron Sazue. Both are also facing three counts of using or carrying a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence. Additionally, they each face one count of assault with a dangerous weapon.

According to court documents, Johnson was charged with assault for allegedly producing a handgun and pointing it at a male identified as Trenton Langdeau before shots were fired. Bagola faces an assault charge for allegedly pointing a gun at another male, Jerome GrassRope.

The charges stem from a shooting that occurred around 4:20 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 11, 2025, near the old boat ramp along the Missouri River, just east of BIA Route 3 in Lyman County, shortly after a local powwow gathering.

According to the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), multiple calls were made to dispatch reporting gunfire. When the first BIA officer arrived at the scene, they observed a group of 15 to 20 people and found one victim, Tayshawn Battese, lying on the ground unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A second victim, Teron Sazue, was found in the driver’s seat of a white vehicle. Though initially still showing signs of life, Sazue died from his injuries before emergency responders could transport him.

Witnesses told authorities that the shooting stemmed from a verbal altercation between two groups. Several witnesses reported that three individuals drew firearms, some equipped with green laser sights. One of the suspects was identified by witnesses as “Boo Boo,” and another as “Kingston.” Some also identified the third suspect as Timothy Janis.

Witnesses said that Battese appeared to step forward to defend members of his group before gunfire erupted. One recalled seeing him prepare to throw a punch just before the shots rang out.

According to witnesses, the suspects fled the scene together in a vehicle. The third suspect, 18-year-old Janis — believed to have been the primary shooter — was later found deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Bagola, meanwhile, had been on the run until he turned himself in Wednesday evening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Their next court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 21 in Pierre.

Jennifer Leither joined the Mitchell Republic in April 2024. She was raised in Sioux Falls, S.D. where she attended Lincoln High School. She continued her education at South Dakota State University, graduating in December 2000 with a bachelor's degree in Journalism. During her time in college, Leither worked as a reporter for the campus newpaper, The Collegian. She also interned for Anderson Publications in Canistota, SD the summer of 2000. Upon graduation, Leither continued to reside in the Sioux Falls area and worked as a freelance writer for the Argus Leader for a number of years.
/jennifer-leither
What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT