City eyes building gun range, Mitchell City Council will consider approving engineer evaluation for two sites
Proposed gun range would feature a wide variety of rifle ranges and pistol bays.
MITCHELL — A new gun range could be coming to Mitchell.
On Monday, the Mitchell City Council will consider approving an agreement to begin evaluating a pair of potential sites where the city is mulling building a gun range in Mitchell. The council will meet at 6 p.m.
The gun range would entail short and long range rifle shooting options, including 100- and 200- yard ranges and 500- and 1,000-yard ranges, according to city documents. In addition, pistol bays are proposed to be included in the project, if it materializes.
The proposed gun range would not feature shotgun trap shooting, according to city officials.
In a memo attached to the council agenda, Public Works Director Joe Schroeder noted there are two sites that a team of engineers will be evaluating. The sites that the city is eyeing have yet to be publicly announced.
The city is recommending hiring Civil Design Inc. to evaluate the layout of the potential gun range sites. The engineer evaluation work is estimated to cost $11,000.
Civil Design Inc. gave a rundown of the engineer work and other work related to the site evaluation in a memo to the city, which would provide a preliminary cost of the project and entail a community stakeholder meeting.
Civil Design Inc. also indicated that city officials have referenced the city of Watertown’s gun range as a “preferred layout.”
Schroeder noted in his memo that the city could explore funding assistance for the project through the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks.
The following items will be considered as part of the consent agenda:
- Approve the minutes and reports from the following meetings: Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 special city council meetings.
- Approve committee and department reports.
- Approve the following raffle permit: Mitchell Community Scholarship fund with the drawing to be held Feb. 27.
- Approve 2023 renewal of vehicle for hire company applications.
- Approve a change order to A-G-E Corporation for the construction of cell No. 4 at the Mitchell landfill.
- Approve gas and fuel quotes.
- Approve Nov. 21 pay estimates.
- Approve bills, payroll, salary adjustments, new employee hires, authorization of recurring payments and other expenses.
- Recite pledge of allegiance and receive invocation from Harvest Community church.
- Hear citizens input.
- Meet as Board of Adjustment.
- Hold hearings and take action on the following applications: Joni and Josh Rasmussen have applied for a variance in minimum front yard setback of 8 feet vs. 25 feet and side corner yard setback of 16 feet vs. 20 feet to construct a wraparound porch and move the existing front door from the southwest corner of the house to the south side located at 322 S. Wisconsin St., legally described as lots 7 and 8, block 12, Railroad Addition, in the city of Mitchell. The said real property is zoned single family residential district (R2); Gold Key Properties LLC’s application for a conditional use permit for multi-family dwelling units between 5 and 12, located at 705, 707 and 711 S. Davison St., legally described as lots 54-56 of overlook addition, in the city of Mitchell. The property is zoned medium density family residential district (R3); Gold Key Properties LLC’s application for a variance in minimum front and rear yard setback of 22 feet vs. 25 feet for construction of a four-plex with attached garages, located at 705 S. Davison St., legally described as lots 54-56 of overlook addition, in the city of Mitchell. The property is zoned in a medium family residential district (R3).
- Set the date for the following hearings to take place Dec. 5: Ethan Co-op Lumber’s application for Robert and Sherri Porter’s variance permit to build an attached garage of 3,136 square feet vs. 2,000 square feet, located at 5210 Fiala Road, legally described as lot 14 of Fiala’s addition in the northwest quarter of sections 4, township 103 north, range 60 west of the fifth prime meridian; HiWings LLC’s application for a conditional use permit for alcohol sales (on-site), located at 40580 250th St., legally described as Kelley tract 1, a subdivision of the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter, Kelley tracts 1A and 2, a subdivision of the south half of the southeast quarter, west 208.75’ of south 208.75’ of the southeast quarter, all in section 36, township 104 north, range 61 west of the fifth prime meridian, in the city of Mitchell. The property is zoned in an Urban Development District.
- Reconvene as City Council.
- Hold hearings on the following alcohol license applications: An application to transfer RB‐3124 Retail (on‐off sale) malt beverage and SD Farm Wine License from Jeremy Jensen, doing business as, Jensen Capital & Development, LLC, to Austen LLC, doing business as, Corn Palace Inn, located at 1001 South Burr Street; An application from Jonathan Herron, doing business as, Los Dos Amigos LLC, located at 108 N. Main St., for a new retail (on‐off sale) malt Beverage and SD Farm Wine License and wine and cider license (does not include video lottery).
- Approve renewal of alcohol licenses.
- Approve renewal of medical cannabis licenses.
- Approve application for a medical cannabis manufacturing license to be located at 1400 S. Burr St., the former Runnings building.
- Approve bid award for Livesay Lane Utility project.
- Approve agreement with Helms and Associates to construct landfill cell No. 4.
- Approve design and bidding for sewer projects with SPN and Associates.
- Approved phase II of the south wastewater treatment plant project with HDR Engineering. The project is estimated to cost $30 million.
- Approve agreement with Schemmer regarding the Indoor Aquatic Center.
- Approve second reading of annual appropriations ordinance.
- Hold hearing on first reading of amended changes to the Woodland Heights planned unit development.