Jackrabbit Farms discussion continues for county commission
Odor continues to be a topic of discussion for the Davison County Commission. At the commission's regularly scheduled meeting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday at the Davison County North Offices at 1420 N. Main St., the five commissioners will hear from Jack...
Odor continues to be a topic of discussion for the Davison County Commission.
At the commission's regularly scheduled meeting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday at the Davison County North Offices at 1420 N. Main St., the five commissioners will hear from Jackrabbit Family Farms and Pipestone System representatives regarding "complaints" and "compliance" of the rural facility.
The Baker Township hog-raising facility has been the source of controversy for some neighbors who find the manure smell emitted by the facility to be bothersome.
In an early October commission meeting, several neighbors of the farm were concerned that Jackrabbit Family Farms' owners and the facility's managers were not doing enough to reduce the odor from the facility's manure pits.
These neighbors, who all live more than one mile from the facility, brought a representative of the Socially Responsible Agricultural Project to argue on their behalf at that October commission meeting.
Jackrabbit Family Farms will have its opportunity to respond to the neighbors at Tuesday's meeting.
The following is the commission's complete agenda:
• 9 a.m.: Call meeting to order, conduct Pledge of Allegiance, approve minutes and hear citizen input and board reports.
• 9:15 a.m.: Meet with Jackrabbit Family Farms and Pipestone System representatives regarding complaints and compliance.
• 9:45 a.m.: Approve 2016 health insurance rates.
• 10 a.m.: Hold an executive session regarding personnel.
• 10:15 a.m.: Meet with Director of Equalization Kathy Goetsch to consider approval of a new hire.
• 10:30 a.m.: Approve bills, acknowledge volunteers, acknowledge an automatic supplement to the Davison County Sheriff's Office and Office of Emergency Management and a special dispensation to Tech Solutions for a new backup battery.