BURKE -- The Gregory County Courthouse in Burke recently received a matching grant from the South Dakota State Historical Society to restore the building’s historic windows following tornado damage in August.
The Gregory County Courthouse, located at 221 E. 8th Street, was built in 1934. The county received a $17,000 grant to assist in the replacement of non-historic windows damaged by the August 2019 tornado with historically compatible ones.
The courthouse was designed in the Art Deco and Prairie style by Mitchell architect Walter J. Dixon and built by the Henry Carlson Construction Company. Ciavarella Design Architects of Mitchell have used original blueprints and historic photographs to plan replacements that recreate the historic window design.
“This historic preservation grants program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society, in a statement. “In 2019, we awarded $120,676 among nine projects which had matching funds of $327,812. The resulting total public-private investment is $448,488.”
The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.
The following projects also recently received grants to supplement their work:
Brookings (Brookings County): Stock Judging Pavilion, built 1918; received $8,200 to assist in the repair of historic windows
Lake City (Marshall County): Fort Sisseton Adjutant’s Office (built 1869) and Magazine (built 1866); received $12,000 to assist in masonry and foundation repairs
Philip (Haakon County): Haakon County Courthouse, built 1930; received $12,000 to assist in repointing masonry
Pierre (Hughes County): Pierre American Legion Cabin, built 1942; received $17,000 to assist in repair of log construction
Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year, with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1. They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees.