Council to address canal bridge repairs
Addressing structural reparations for the Canal Bridge on North Harmon Drive will be a focal point for the Mitchell City Council during its regular 6 p.m. meeting Monday at City Hall.
The city council will take action on whether to approve the submission of an application for a South Dakota Bridge Improvement Grant (BIG) that is estimated to cost $267,610, and the city of Mitchell has committed to paying 20 percent of the total cost, which would be $53,522, according to the council agenda.
Removing and resetting the prestressed concrete double tees, along with replacing the 12-by-12 timber caps, are two major reparations the canal bridge will undergo. The estimates of the canal bridge project were provided by Brosz Engineering, of Sioux Falls.
The following items will be considered as part of the consent agenda:
• Approve the minutes of the Dec. 26 special council meeting regarding the 5G small cell facility ordinance, and the Dec. 17 sidewalk committee meeting.
• Approve the following raffle permits: Mitchell Skating and Hockey Association with the drawings to be held at all of their home league games; Mitchell Area Safehouse Foundation with the drawing to be held on March 29, 2019; Post 18, The American Legion with the drawing to be held on April 27, 2019; Pheasants Forever Pheasant Country with the drawing to be held on October 19, 2019.
• Approve The Daily Republic as the official newspaper for the city of Mitchell of 2019.
• Set the date for the following hearing: Jan. 21 for the application of Los 3 Amigos, LLC for a retail (on-off sale) malt beverage license located at 1522 W. Havens (video lottery excluded) on the application of Los 3 Amigos, LLC for a retail (on-off sale) wine license located at 1522 W. Havens (video lottery excluded).
• Approve new taxi license applications for Speedy Taxi, Lori's Lift, Jesse Parker's Lyft and Tim Goldammer.
• Approve change order No. 1: Mitchell Recreation Center reroof phase II - City Project No. 2018-24 to Hub City Roofing. East Havens water main loop city project No. 2018-25 to Menning Backhoe LLC.
• Approve Jan. 7 pay estimates.
• Approve bills, payroll, salary adjustments and new employee hires and authorize payment of recurring and other expenses as a approved by the finance officer.
The council will consider the following items:
• Hear public input.
• Consider approval of the official depositories for the city of Mitchell for 2019.
• Hold a hearing and action on the application to transfer retail (on-sale) liquor license MG Oil Company DBA EZ$ Pub, 1801 North Main Street, St., Suites 3-6, Mitchell to MG Oil Company DBA EZ$ Pub/Village Bowl, 1500 North Duff Street, St., Suite F, Mitchell.
• Consider to enter an executive session, citing legal discussions.