Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Distracted cooking cause of Sunday evening fire

A Sunday evening kitchen fire at a Mitchell rental home displaced its tenants.

At 6:15 p.m., Mitchell firefighters were called to 912 W. Fifth Ave. and saw smoke coming from the residence. When entering the building, there was smoke and fire in the kitchen, according to Mitchell Assistant Fire Chief Marius Laursen.

Firefighters used a hose and water to extinguish the blaze, which caused heavy damage to the kitchen. The house is not a total loss, Laursen said.

The fire crew left the scene at approximately 7 p.m., and the rental tenants stayed with relatives Sunday evening. Laursen said no one was injured and the fire appears to be caused by distracted cooking.

The Mitchell Fire Department reminds everyone to stay with your cooking at all times to avoid fires such as this.