PLANKINTON -- A Tuesday evening fire northwest of Plankinton left a barn intact but with severe structural damage.

Plankinton Fire Chief Jeff Briggs told The Daily Republic on Wednesday morning that the owner of the barn, located about 4 miles north and 2 miles west of Plankinton, had put water on the fire by the time firefighters had arrived on scene shortly after 6 p.m.

The fire was determined to have been caused by a faulty acetylene tank and took about two hours to extinguish completely. Briggs said although the barn was severely damaged, it was not a total loss after the fire.