School board to decide on transfer of MTI building ownership
The Mitchell Board of Education will determine whether or not to authorize the transfer of the Mitchell Technical Institute Technology Center to state ownership at its board meeting today.
The meeting will be held at 5 p.m. in Room 116 of the Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy.
Unlike most of the MTI buildings on campus, the Technology Center was built without funds from the state of South Dakota. MTI built the building using a combination of MTI operational funds and loans. Superintendent Joe Graves noted that the state of South Dakota has recently instituted a plan which provides technical institutes state resources for maintenance and repair.
"The contribution is made, however, only for buildings actually owned by the State," Graves said in the board agenda documents. "Given that and given the fact that ownership is not particularly germane to the operations of these buildings or the educational programming they provide to our students, I am recommending the transfer of this property to the state of South Dakota."
In another matter, a recent state grant secured by MCTEA welding instructor Daniel Zard will allow the district to declare as surplus and sell eight welding machines. The board will decide on allowing the sale that would remove them from the inventories. Five of the machines would be sold as "parts only" machines.
Graves will also present waivers for a handful of school district employees with potential conflicts of interest, asking the Mitchell Board of Education to approve all of the waivers.
The consent agenda includes the following personnel changes.
• New hires: Kacie Zaijc, music teacher at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary; Kyra Mentele, music teacher at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary; Madeline Tegethoff, multi-age teacher at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary; Alex Mellan, computer aide and paraeducator at Longfellow Elementary; Kelsey Hanssen, title teacher and paraeducator at the Abbott House; Paige Raschke, paraeducator at Mitchell Middle School; David Suarez, head cook at Mitchell High School; Brenda Lange, general food service worker at L.B. Williams Elementary; Lisa Blumenberg-Switzer, kitchen manager at L.B. Williams Elementary.
• MTI new hires: Jenna Vavra, radiologic technologist instructor; Jenny Morgan, custodian; Lorraine King, custodian.
• Extra-curricular new hires: Rebecca Millan, assistant speech and debate coach; Melissa Miller, assistant speech and debate coach; Scott Mullenmeister, assistant girls soccer; Emma Schmidt, volunteer volleyball coach.
• Transfers: Katelynn Ellsworth, begindergarten teacher at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary; Margaret Sivik, title I teacher at Abbott House; Joshua Vlasman, salad bar worker at L.B. Williams Elementary.
• Resignation: Amy Christensen, first-grade and second-grade multi-age teacher at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary; Stephanie Dockweiler, paraeducator at Mitchell Middle School; Ziantha Woodside, custodian at school district; Dianne Mack, food service worker at Longfellow Elementary.
In other matters, the board will consider:
• Discussing bids to approve upgrades for welding equipment at Mitchell Technical Institute.
• Superintendent and board reports.