MARTY -- A man from the Wagner area was taken into custody on tribal land Saturday afternoon after allegedly stealing a vehicle from Yankton and leading law enforcement in Bon Homme and Charles Mix counties on a high-speed pursuit.

The man remained in the custody of tribal law enforcement as of Sunday afternoon, and authorities said his name will not be released until paperwork can be filed with state's attorneys in the counties involved and charges are officially filed.

Shortly before 3 p.m., the Bon Homme County Sheriff's Office received a complaint of a reckless driver driving west on State Highway 50. Officers from Tyndall and Avon located the GMC Yukon and initiated a traffic stop. The male driver reportedly started to pull over but sped away, beginning a pursuit.

DesaRae Gravatt Mousseau, an officer with the Wagner Police Department, told The Daily Republic on Sunday that she took the lead in the pursuit when the vehicle approached Wagner from the south. She said the man drove toward Wagner at speeds of up to 95 mph and that the vehicle was swerving to both sides of the road and went into a ditch twice.

The man reportedly crashed the vehicle on 303rd Street, about a quarter-mile east of Marty. The vehicle rolled, and the man was able to leave it without assistance and was taken to the hospital, where he was medically cleared. No one else was in the vehicle, which was reportedly found to have been stolen from Yankton.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

After the crash, the man reportedly gave a preliminary breath test of 0.188 percent and was taken into custody by Bureau of Indian Affairs law enforcement. Gravatt Mousseau said that the man, who is on parole, will be charged with aggravated eluding and a DUI in Charles Mix County and with grand theft in Yankton County. Bon Homme County Sheriff Mark Maggs said the man will also be charged with eluding.

It is not known what charges, if any, the man faces for actions on Yankton Sioux land, as BIA law enforcement does not release information on arrests to the public, and no charging documents fitting the description of Saturday's events had been filed with the U.S. District Court as of Sunday afternoon.