The Mitchell Board of Education may soon add a specific ban on vaping devices and e-cigarettes on school grounds, if a proposed policy change is approved.
The board will discuss that and two other changes to the district's tobacco policy during its regularly-scheduled meeting at 5 p.m. Monday at the Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy. This will be the policy's first reading, and a second reading is expected to take place at the board's April 24 meeting.
The three proposed changes to Board Policy 518 include the addition of wording that would explicitly ban e-cigarettes, vaping devices and the liquids used in them, as well as wording that would grant school administrators leeway in applying the policy to accommodate for the newer devices and a sentence that makes the Mitchell School District ADAPT Team responsible for implementing the policy.
The addition of the wording concerning electronic devices was recommended following the ADAPT Team's review of the policy.
Consent agenda, personnel
The consent agenda includes the following personnel changes.
• New certified hires: Catherine Woodmansey, K-5 music instructor at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary and assistant musical instructor at Mitchell Middle School; Emma Thury, ELA teacher at Mitchell Middle School; Kaitlin Todd, sixth grade social studies and ELA teacher at Mitchell Middle School; Michaela Steffen, art teacher at L.B. Williams Elementary; Nicole Nelson, fourth grade teacher at Longfellow Elementary; Leslie Rylance, ELA Teacher at Mitchell High School.
• New classified hires: Kalie Corrigan, general food service worker at Mitchell Middle School; Stephanie Winger, kitchen manager at Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary.
• Transfers: Sadie Klumb, eighth grade English teacher to third/fourth grade multiage teacher at Longfellow Elementary; Cole Knippling, assistant boys basketball coach to head girls basketball coach.
• Resignations: Jeff Sand, English teacher, head debate coach, head oral interpretation coach; Brandon Lockhart, maintenance worker; Megan Neuharth, kindergarten teacher at Longfellow Elementary; Jamie Iburg, paraeducator at Longfellow Elementary; Travis Carpenter, business instructor, assistant football coach, head wrestling coach.
• MTI new hire: Mike Starr, MCTEA auto instructor.
In other matters, the board will consider:
• Recognizing Mitchell's food service program and Director Leann Carmody for the Outstanding Employer Recognition Award from the Mitchell Advisory Council for People with Disabilities.
• A report from Mitchell Technical Institute President Mark Wilson on the Aspen Prize Competition.
• Approving a resolution authorizing membership in the South Dakota High School Activities Association.
• Board member and superintendent reports.