MOUNT VERNON - A Mount Vernon residence is a complete loss following a Sunday fire in which two women escaped without injuries.

First responders were dispatched to the scene at approximately 2:15 p.m., while the Mount Vernon volunteer fire department were the first to arrive at the 305 W. Second St. home. When first responders arrived, the home was filling up with heavy smoke coming from inside of the house.

"We had to go in and rescue the lady in the wheelchair, and the other lady made it out on her own," Mount Vernon firefighter Steve Gerlach said.

The entire house was soon engulfed in flames. According to Gerlach, the fire began in the bathroom of the one-story house and quickly spread throughout the entire home.

Firefighters from Mount Vernon and Mitchell were able to bring the fire under control around 4 p.m. Sunday. Gerlach said they planned to monitor the site throughout the night on Sunday to keep an eye on the conditions.

Authorities did not provide the names of the two women inside the home at the time of the fire, but they were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene on Sunday.

In addition to the Mount Vernon and Mitchell fire departments, Mitchell EMS, Northwestern Energy and the Salvation Army also responded to the fire.