Another busy month coming up for Mitchell's elementary schools
School year now in full swing
MITCHELL — The 2022-23 school year is in full swing at the five local elementary schools in Mitchell.
The Mitchell Republic reached out to the five local elementary schools — Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary, L.B. Williams Elementary, Longfellow Elementary, John Paul II Elementary and Mitchell Christian Elementary — in an effort to provide a brief rundown of events, activities and announcements from each school on a monthly basis. The Mitchell Republic will publish this information online as information is made available from the schools.
Following is a roundup of news and upcoming events from those schools.
L.B. Williams Elementary
- Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled for Oct. 20 from 3:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. The conferences are a chance for parents to connect with teachers on how their child has been doing in the classroom.
- There will be no school Oct. 10 to accommodate a professional development day for staff.
- There will be a Busload of Books event Oct. 24 at the school. The school was chosen as the only South Dakota school to have this particular author/illustrator team come to the school to celebrate art and literacy. Two large group presentations and a small group gathering will be part of the event, and each student will receive a free book.
- The Scholastic Book Fair will be held Oct. 17 to Oct. 21 at the L.B. Williams Elementary Library.
- Grandparents’ Day will be held as part of the Scholastic Book Fair. Grandparents are invited to attend from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. in the L.B. Williams Elementary Library for a donut and to browse the book fair.
The full L.B. Williams Elementary newsletter can be found here.
- Students have a fundraising goal of $12,000 for an opportunity to “Hotdog the Principal.” Students have until Oct. 11 to sell tickets with the money raised needing to be turned in that same day. Any class that brings in over $800 is also allowed to “Hotdog a Teacher.” More information can be found in the Longfellow Elementary newsletter.
- A marching band preview night will be held Oct. 7 for students interested in what it’s like to take part in high school marching band. Parents can drop off their student at 6 p.m. at entrance #4 at the Performing Arts Center, and students will have the chance to march to the stadium and sit with the band during the first half.
- The school book fair will take place from Oct. 3 to Oct. 7 in the Longfellow Elementary Library.
- The Longfellow Elementary PTO will host a fundraiser through Papa Murphy’s Pizza, with 20% of online orders going toward the fundraiser from Oct. 12 through Oct. 17. Use the code SCHOOL when you order online at papamurphys.com.
- The student council store will be open Oct. 21 at 7:45 a.m. in the Longfellow Elementary Commons.
The full Longfellow Elementary newsletter can be found here.
Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary
- Picture retake day at the school is Oct. 4. If you would like a retake photo done of your student, have your student return the packet of pictures to Mark along with a $5 retake fee. You do not need to reorder.
- A Trunk or Treat event will be held from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 29 at the Mitchell Middle School Parking lot. This will be an event that will provide a safe trick or treating opportunity. The event is for second graders and under.
- The school will recognize Red Ribbon Week Oct. 24 through Oct. 28. There will be dress up days, contests and prizes, with everything revolving around a theme of Celebrate LIFE. Red Ribbon Week is observed as alcohol, drug, tobacco, violence prevention awareness campaign.
- The school has COVID-19 tests for at-home needs for families or students. Parents can stop in or call 995-3091 for more information.
- A list of students took home prizes at the South Dakota State Fair is available through the full Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary newsletter.
The full Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary newsletter can be found here.
Mitchell Christian Elementary
- There will be no school Oct. 6, Oct. 7 and Oct. 10 for teacher inservices.
- A school board meeting will be held Oct. 24 at 7 p.m.
- Fourth Grade sings at Wesley Acres, Oct. 14
- First grade sings at Edgewood, Oct. 17
- Second and third grades sing at Countryside, Oct. 18
- Kindergarten sings at Firesteel, Oct. 21
- Parent-teacher conferences will be held Oct. 27.
St. John Paul II Elementary
- The school will celebrate the Month of the Rosary in October. Once a week during the month the students and teachers will pray the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy. The chaplet is a rosary-based prayer with the same set of rosary beads used for reciting the Holy Rosary.
- The student council has two snack carts that travel to classrooms every Wednesday. The snacks sold are purchased through the lunch program and are healthy snacks for students. The profits go toward the purchase of special items on a needed basis.
- There will be an in-person PTO meeting at 7 p.m. Oct. 6.
- Mass music practice will be held Oct. 7.
- There will be no school Oct. 10 for a staff development day.
- Parent teacher conferences will be held Oct. 20.
All school events, including dates, times and locations, are subject to change. For the latest information, contact your child’s school.
Some events listed under the three public elementary schools - Longfellow, L.B. Williams and Gertie Belle Rogers - may be open to all students. For more information, check with your student's particular elementary school.