Daily Republic News
- Member for
- 4 years 6 months
The Mitchell Fire Division responded to a fire in a pole shed Tuesday afternoon north of Mitchell. Assistant Fire Chief Paul Morris said firefighters had the fire out within three minutes of arriving on scene at 40792 247th St. "It was isolated to a very small area," Morris said. A welding machine and some items around it caught fire, but Morris said it is unclear how they caught fire. He said the welder was plugged in but not turned on.
SALEM -- A Madison man died in a car accident west of Salem on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. South Dakota Highway Patrol Trooper Aaron Hanson said at about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, Gerald Kenneth Ottoson, 60, was driving a straight truck hauling fertilizer westbound on 252nd Street out of Salem. About 1 1/2 miles west of Salem, Hanson said the driver's side front tire blew out, and the vehicle crossed the center line before entering the south ditch.
GANN VALLEY -- One farmstead was threatened by a prairie fire Tuesday afternoon southwest of Gann Valley. No one was injured in the fire, and the fire never hit farm buildings. Dave Gaulke, president of Gann Valley's fire association, said a controlled burn from Monday likely reignited Tuesday and started the 100-acre prairie and cornstalk fire. With high winds Tuesday, the fire spread quickly, Gaulke said. Gann Valley had four trucks respond to the fire and Kimball's fire department sent three trucks.
The city of Mitchell will be holding a special collection of furniture and appliances only during the week of April 21-25. These items will be collected on regular garbage collection day during that week. During that week, the City of Mitchell will be collecting oversized items set out on the curb. Please note that collection of furniture and appliances will be curbside only. We will not collect in alleys. During the week of April 19-26, the city residents will be able to dump pickup sized loads at the landfill free of charge.
Aurora County • Nicholas Mette, 18, of Sioux Falls, pleaded guilty Wednesday to simple assault against a law enforcement officer. He was originally also charged with aggravated assault, but court records say that charge was dismissed.
Mitchell police have identified the man whose death they began investigating Monday. Dustin Lee Jones, 33, of Mitchell, was reported as dead to authorities around 7:30 Monday morning. Det. Lt. Don Everson confirmed the man’s identity Tuesday morning. “A preliminary autopsy report shows there were no signs of foul play,” he said in an interview with The Daily Republic.
By Public News Service YANKTON — A change in federal clean-water rules appears to be popular with some major stakeholders, especially farmers, hunters and anglers. Two federal court decisions had muddied the rules on where the Clean Water Act applies, but a new revision has been proposed to clarify the issue. According to Jan Goldman-Carter, senior manager, wetlands and water resources for the National Wildlife Federation, people who deal with the Clean Water Act are happy to have the matter resolved.
Lucas Bartl, son of Rick and Linda Bartl, was chosen as the Mitchell Exchange Club Youth of the Year at the annual awards program held April 7 at the County Fair Banquet Hall, Mitchell. In addition to his plaque, he will receive a $1,000 scholarship to be used for his second semester of post-high school education. Bartl will be entered into competition for the Dakota District “Youth of the Year” that will be held in June in Minot, N D Nine local high school seniors were honored, one for each school month of the year.
The fifth- through eighth-grade choir students at Mitchell Christian School attended the April 4 vocal contest held in Wessington Springs. Emily Strong, Moriah Plastow, Allyson Strong and Skylar Hofer received superior ratings on solos. The seventh- and eighth-grade chorus and the fifth- and sixth-grade chorus each received superior ratings on their group numbers. Nine girls received a superior rating on their piece and duets by Heidi Tirrel/Allyson Strong; and Jocelyn Baas/Adaya Plastow also received superiors.
SALEM -- A Hutterite colony lost about 600 hogs to smoke inhalation over the weekend. A fire started in a hog barn on the Golden View Hutterite Colony Saturday afternoon. McCook County Emergency Manager Brad Stiefvater said embers from a nearby burn pit likely were sucked into a vent and started the fire in the ceiling of the building. Salem and Spencer fire departments responded to the fire about 5:30 p.m. Stiefvater said firefighters had to cut open the roof to get at the fire, which burned some rafters and insulation.