Daily Republic News
- Member for
- 1 year 6 months
WOONSOCKET -- An area man was injured when his business caught fire Friday evening, authorities said. Travis Coulthard, assistant chief with the Woonsocket Fire Department, said around 4 p.m. Friday, Steichen Service, on Dumont Avenue in Woonsocket, caught on fire. He and Sanborn County Sheriff's Deputy Jason Coenen said the business' owner, Gary Steichen, was injured and transported by ambulance to Avera Queen of Peace in Mitchell.
Q: Why is Sioux Falls done with school a whole week earlier than Mitchell? Is it true the Mitchell School District is doing year-round school this year at Longfellow? A: The following response comes from Mitchell Superintendent Joe Graves: "School calendars vary across the state and so while beginning and ending dates are often similar, local variations in the calendar do create some differences.
Kendra Knight, Mitchell, was recognized as the Outstanding Art Education Student in the Visual and Performing Arts category and as the Outstanding Business Administration Student at the annual Spirit of Excellence Awards Celebration at the University of Sioux Falls, held recently. -- Source: University of Sioux Falls
Due to construction and remodeling work, Corn Palace visitors will be directed to enter through the south doors on Sixth Avenue starting today. Interim Corn Palace Director Jeri Mickelson said turnstiles, which have traditionally been used during the summer months to count visitors, will not be placed at the south doors. She was unsure about the turnstiles' future for the summer, but a decision will likely be made soon. Signs will be put around the Corn Palace to direct visitors to the south doors, Mickelson said.
A man involved in a meth lab bust in July pleaded guilty Tuesday to possessing methamphetamine. Lindath Stone, 38, of Mitchell, was at an apartment on North Winsor Street in Mitchell on July 8 when law enforcement busted a couple for allegedly making meth. Stone was apparently staying with Susan Normile and Donald Kindt, according to court documents. Authorities discovered the lab after the landlord called in theft of electricity. Court documents state Normile's and Kindt's electricity had been shut off, and they ran an extension cord from their window to get power from an outdoor outlet.
By Will Walter Mitchell Technical Institute I have been fortunate to sit in on a focus group the past 18 months discussing some alternatives for "summering" beef cows. In recent years with the profitability of grain crops, we have seen more land being converted from traditional pasture to grain production. With less pasture available on the market, beef cow producers have had to look at some alternatives for providing forage to their cow/calf pairs. The words, "we'll just have to drylot them," come up with an apprehensive voice.
Nearly 10 customers lost electricity in rural Charles Mix County on Tuesday afternoon after a vehicle slid into the ditch and ran into a support pole for electric lines. Russell Gall, member services representative for Charles Mix Electric, said six or seven customers lost power for about two hours. A Yankton Sioux Tribe Housing Authority vehicle slid on a snow-covered gravel road four miles south of Wagner and went in the ditch at 1:53 p.m., said South Dakota Highway Patrol Trooper Aaron Hanson.
ETHAN — Art Pollreisz, Ethan, will celebrate his 90th birthday on Sunday, Nov. 23. His family requests a card shower. Greetings may be sent to 26158 414th Ave., Ethan, S.D., 57334.
A Mitchell man pleaded guilty Tuesday morning to attempting to possess a controlled substance. David Muth, 42, was arrested in June for attempting to get methamphetamine. He was indicted for the crime on June 27. Attorneys entered a written plea agreement during court, and filed it under seal.
Mitchell Toastmasters Club 495 met on Nov. 13 at Dakota Wesleyan University, with seven members present. President Gretchen Rich opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, and Loren Kasten gave the invocation. Gretchen called on Bill Kinder as toastmaster. He called on our first speaker, Duane Duba, who gave a speech titled, "Listening." Bill introduced our second speaker, Kay Thomas, whose title was, "To Be Area Governor." Bill asked Loren to present Table Topics, and he called on four members with a three-way tie vote of Roger Puthoff, Gretchen and Jim Jelden the winners.