Daily Republic News
- Member for
- 4 years 3 months
WINNER — A Winner woman was charged with burglary and child abuse after jumping from a seven-foot-high window to escape police while holding her infant child, authorities say. Teyaune Clairmont, 26, was arrested recently and charged with breaking into an apartment and abusing her 1-year-old child by carrying the infant while jumping out of a window, court documents state. At about midnight on July 1, law enforcement attempted to perform a welfare check on Clairmont but could not immediately locate her.
LAKE ANDES — A Lake Andes man has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated sexual abuse of child, abusive sexual contact of a child and felony child abuse and neglect. Wendell Clark Archambeau, Jr. was indicted on Thursday. According to the first indictment, Archambeau is accused of engaging in sexual acts with a child younger than 12 years old and abusing the same child in 2016, according to the United States Attorney's Office. The second indictment alleges Archambeau abused and engaged in two instances of sexual contact with a child younger than 12 in 2013.
A look at news from around the region, as reported by weekly newspapers: Miner County MINER COUNTY BANK TO MERGE INTO RIVERS EDGE: Don Nolan, president of Miner County Bank, recently announced the bank's intent to merge its operations with two affiliate banks. Miner County Bank will merge with Farmers State Bank, of Marion, Bridgewater and Parker; and South Dakota and First State Bank of Hawarden, Iowa. The combined operations, to be called Rivers Edge Bank, will have total assets of approximately $180 million.
Here are five stories you should know Friday: 1. Here's the history and background on the "Goofy Pool," located in eastern Mitchell. 2. Mitchell native and South Dakota State University standout Macy Miller's knee is at about 80 percent, she says . She's looking forward to the upcoming season.
SCOTLAND — Two people were injured in a Wednesday afternoon crash near Scotland. Nineteen-year-old Justin Kaskie, of Irene, and a 66-year-old male driver sustained minor injuries when Kaskie drove through the intersection of South Dakota Highways 46 and 25 and collided with the 66-year-old man, according to the South Dakota Department of Public Safety.
PRESHO — An abandoned home in Presho was destroyed in a Wednesday night fire that officials say was sparked by lightning. The building that had been empty for several years caught fire at 9:41 p.m. as a storm rolled through the area and sat on the east edge of town, according to Lyman County Sheriff Steve Manger. When firefighters arrived on scene, the building was completely engulfed in flames, so crews from Presho and Kennebec monitored the scene and allowed it to burn out mostly on its own, Manger said.
Here are five stories to know headed into Thursday, July 6. 1. Mitchell residents may have illegally fired off fireworks on the Fourth of July, but one local official says they're not so easy to catch in the act. 2. The Mitchell Post 18 Legion baseball team rallied for a comeback win to close out a doubleheader on Wednesday. Read here to find out how they did it.
KIMBALL — A storage shed and several farming implements were completely destroyed in a Monday morning fire near Kimball. At approximately 6:35 a.m., seven Kimball firefighters responded to a machine shed fire approximately seven miles northeast of Kimball, which was completely destroyed along with tractors, a bailer, a truck and miscellaneous farm tools that were stored inside, according to Maynard Konechne of the Kimball Fire Department.
OLIVET — Firefighters responded to a fire inside a storage shed near Olivet where the hot weather is believed to have caused hay bales to spontaneously combust. At about 11:15 a.m. Monday, 17 Menno firefighters were called to a shed about six miles northwest of Olivet, where two hay bales stored inside caught fire, according to Menno Fire Chief Jai Walter.
SALEM — A family’s shed is a complete loss following a Monday night fireworks mishap in Salem. Officials believe a lit firework became lodged under the corner of the 10-foot-by-10-foot shed at 10:45 p.m. at 422 N. Pierce St., causing a blaze that destroyed the structure and its contents, according to Salem Fire Chief Nathan Olinger.