Skip to main content
The Daily Republic
Area Halloween events scheduled
Ventriloquist brings 'talking dog' to Pepsi-Cola Theatre
Fort Thompson woman accused of stealing funds meant to help tribal members
Canton man sentenced for selling stolen items on eBay
Trial begins for man accused of killing infant son
Davison County receives Gold Level award
Samsung scraps Galaxy Note 7 over fire concerns
CorTrust Bank ALM Community Foundation awards grants
Bass Pro Shops hooks Cabela's in $5.5 billion deal
AgweekTV: Ethanol Plant Tour
Soybean yields slightly down in 2016 after record 2015
SD corn yields below record highs forecasted nationwide
New SDSU Swine Unit opens with dedication
Regents working with governor on a major research centers plan
GUEBERT: Little hope for farm bill.
Mudder dominating up front for DWU
'Consistent performer': Michels makes plays for Kernels
SD college football preview: Nielson takes on old team in USD-WIU duel
Dordt sweeps Tigers in three sets
Mitchell's Brewster to join Tiger women's basketball
Mitchell woman turns 80
Canova woman marks 85th birthday
Couple celebrates 60th anniversary
Healy birth announcement
Fulton woman celebrates 80th birthday
Ruth E. Baker
Mary Jo Wittstruck
The last great stronghold for pheasant hunting
A Monumental Milestone
Superstar, super nervous, easy interview
Mastering a foreign language
Human trafficking in our backyard
GFP offers refunds on archery, youth and muzzleloader deer licenses
Mitchell native brings SDWF, Hunting Film Tour to town
The best of Wiltz: Nightmare on Erika Street
Captive pheasants make up one-fifth or more of SD harvest
GFP Commission refuses to break state laws over non-resident waterfowl hunting licenses
June 3, 2014
Hershey track meet scheduled for Thursday
The Mitchell Parks and Recreation Department will hold the Hershey track meet for ages 9-14 (age as of Dec. 31) at 6 p.m. Thursday at Joe Quintal Field in Mitchell. Those interested can register at the Mitchell Recreation Center and must be register by noon today. For more...
June 3, 2014 - 3:08pm
May 31, 2014
Mitchell's Rew among six area individuals, two relays crowned at state meet
SIOUX FALLS -- Mitchell’s Ellie Rew took Mitchell’s lone state championship Saturday at the Class AA state track meet at Howard Wood Field...
May 31, 2014 - 6:06pm
May 29, 2014
Friday's sports schedule
• Mitchell High School track and field at Class AA state meet at Sioux Falls O’Gorman High School. • Area track and field: Class A teams at state meet in Madison; Class B teams at state meet at Howard Wood in Sioux Falls. • Mitchell Post 18 Legion baseball vs. Rapid...
May 29, 2014 - 11:32pm
May 23, 2014
MHS track runs final tuneup before state
HURON — The Mitchell boys and girls track teams have the same number of state qualifiers leaving their final meet of the regular season Thursday before the Class AA state meet as they had going into it, but Kernel coach Geoff Gross said a number of his athletes improved their positioning...
May 23, 2014 - 1:05am
May 21, 2014
Thursday's sports schedule
• Dakota Wesleyan women’s golf at NAIA National Championships in Lincoln, Neb. • Mitchell High School boys tennis at state tournament, TBA in Rapid City. • Mitchell High School track and field at Huron Invitational, 4 p.m. in Huron. • Area track and field: Bon Homme,...
May 21, 2014 - 10:25pm
May 17, 2014
Weekend's sports schedule
• Mitchell High School track and field ESD meet, 11:30 a.m. in Brandon. • Mitchell High School baseball at Sioux Falls O’Gorman in region baseball tournament, 2:30 p.m. in Sioux Falls. • Amateur baseball: Lennox at Mitchell Mad Dogs, 7 p.m. at Drake Field in Mitchell. Sunday •...
May 17, 2014 - 12:27am
May 12, 2014
Sudbeck, Rew, Overweg finish first at Al Sahli Invite for MHS track
ABERDEEN — The Mitchell High School track and field team took home five first-place finishes at the the Al Sahli Invitational Saturday in Aberdeen. “We ran with an abbreviated team, leaving some kids at home,” Mitchell track and field coach and activities director Geoff Gross...
May 12, 2014 - 12:28am
May 5, 2014
Three Kernels place at Howard Wood
SIOUX FALLS — Mitchell High School track coach Geoff Gross was proud of his team’s effort Saturday at Howard Wood Dakota Relays and with good reason. The Kernels recorded three top-eight finishes at the meet, including a seventh-place performance by Emma Schmidt and two third-places...
May 5, 2014 - 12:23am
April 24, 2014
Friday's sports schedule
• Dakota Wesleyan softball doubleheader vs. Hastings College, 5 p.m. at Cadwell Park. • Mitchell High School girls golf hosts Mitchell Invitational, 10:30 a.m. at Lakeview Golf Course in Mitchell. • Mitchell High School boys tennis hosts quadrangular, 10 a.m. at Hitchcock...
April 24, 2014 - 11:48pm
April 17, 2014
Mitchell’s Rew already qualified for 100, 300 hurdles
Ellie Rew is the hardest worker Mitchell track and field coach Geoff Gross has ever coached. The Mitchell junior works out before school at...
April 17, 2014 - 12:25am
April 14, 2014
Tuesday's sports briefs
Corn Palace Relays moved to today in Mitchell The annual Corn Palace Relays were moved up to 4 p.m. today at Joe Quintal Field in Mitchell. The event was originally set for Thursday but due to forecasted inclement weather, it was moved forward two days. Eight teams were scheduled...
April 14, 2014 - 11:37pm
Tuesday's sports schedule
• Dakota Wesleyan softball doubleheader vs. Morningside College, 3 p.m. at Cadwell Park. • Mitchell High School girls’ golf at Yankton Invitational, 10 a.m. at Yankton Fox Run Golf Course. • Mitchell High School boys’ tennis vs. Sioux Falls O’Gorman, 4 p.m. in O’Gorman...
April 14, 2014 - 11:19pm
April 7, 2014
Seven individuals, two relays place for Kernel track
The Mitchell track team started its season at the Al Sahli Invitational Saturday in Aberdeen and coach Geoff Gross was pleased with how his team performed in the early test. Three individuals and one relay team placed for the girls, while four individuals and one relay team finished...
April 7, 2014 - 12:19am
April 4, 2014
Weekend's sports schedule
Saturday • Dakota Wesleyan softball doubleheader vs. Midland, 1 p.m. in Fremont, Neb. • South Dakota State softball doubleheader vs. IUPUI, 2 p.m. at Cadwell Park. • Mitchell High School track and field at Aberdeen Invitational, 11 a.m. in Aberdeen. • Mitchell High School...
April 4, 2014 - 11:30pm
Four placers return for Kernel track team
The Kernels had four girls place individually at the state track and field meet last season. The four placers — Senior Emma Schmidt and juniors Ellie Rew, Abby Sudbeck and Taylor Volesky — all return this season for Mitchell High School. Last season, Schmidt took seventh...
April 4, 2014 - 10:18pm