Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

back in time

March 10, 2014
Shown is the first Davison County Courthouse, with the bandstand that was on the west side of the building. The courthouse, built in 1883 with a budget of $20,000,, served until the present courthouse was built in 1937 at a cost of $235,949.82. This bandstand was used weekly in the summer when the Municipal Band were held concerts on the grounds. (Photo courtesy of the Mitchell Area Historical Society)
BACK IN TIME: First Davison County Courthouse
March 10, 2014 - 8:09am
March 2, 2014
BACK IN TIME: 1906 Corn Palace
March 2, 2014 - 5:50pm
February 23, 2014
BACK IN TIME: Free Methodist Church
February 23, 2014 - 11:00pm
February 9, 2014
BACK IN TIME: First National Bank in Mitchell
February 9, 2014 - 8:52pm
February 2, 2014
This photo, taken circa 1910, shows Artesian’s Main Street looking south. Artesian was founded in 1883 and was first named Dianna. The name was later changed to Artesian because it is located in a natural artesian basin. This photo was donated to the Mitchell Area Historical Society by Edith Wise. (Photo courtesy of Mitchell Area Historical Society)
BACK IN TIME: Artesian Main Street circa 1910
February 2, 2014 - 9:53pm
January 26, 2014
This picture of the early gymnasium and athletic grounds at Dakota University, as Dakota Wesleyan University was originally named, was published in the university’s catalog for 1899. (Photo courtesy of Dakota Wesleyan University Archives)
BACK IN TIME: DWU gymnasiums
January 26, 2014 - 9:40pm
January 20, 2014
Olympic legend Jesse Owens was the featured speaker at Dakota Wesleyan University’s Blue and White Day banquet at the Masonic Temple on Oct. 15, 1960, in Mitchell.
BACK IN TIME: Olympic star Jesse Owens at DWU
January 20, 2014 - 4:22pm
January 13, 2014
In January 1968, Sen. George McGovern toured the newly-constructed Mitchell Area Vocational Technical School, located at 821 North Capital Street. The school’s name has since changed, becoming Mitchell Vocational Technical Institute in 1989, and Mitchell Technical Institute in 1993. Photos from this tour are part of the Senator George McGovern Collection housed in the Dakota Wesleyan University Archives.
BACK IN TIME: McGovern tours Mitchell Vo-Tech
January 13, 2014 - 11:01am
January 5, 2014
Pictured is the old Whittier School, located in the 400 block of West Second Avenue, circa 1900. In the background, the First Methodist Church can be seen, which was at 421 W. Fourth, facing north. Now the same building is a private residence. (Photo courtesy of the Mitchell Area Historical Society)
BACK IN TIME: Old Whittier school
January 5, 2014 - 8:31pm
December 29, 2013
This circa 1940s photo was taken from the corner of First Avenue and Main Street. On the right is Kress Drugstore at 100 N. Main, owned by Horace Kress. J.&P. Furniture Store was located at 102 N. Main. On the left is Coast to Coast Store at 101 N. Main, owned by John Parker. 103 N. Main was the Majestic Bar, now the VFW. 107 N. Main was Montgomery Ward Store and is now the American Legion. (Photo courtesy of the Mitchell Area Historical Society)
BACK IN TIME: Downtown Mitchell 1940s
December 29, 2013 - 1:10pm
December 23, 2013
This circa 1905 to 1912 photo shows the Christmas tree on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Main Street in Mitchell. Looking at the tree, it must have been a Charlie Brown Christmas. The Corn Palace was located at the Corner of Fifth Avenue and Main Street at the time. On the right is a rooming house on the corner. (Photo courtesy of the Mitchell Area Historical Society)
BACK IN TIME: Early 1900s Christmas in downtown Mitchell
December 23, 2013 - 8:39am
December 16, 2013
This 1975 photo shows the Christmas decorations on the corner of Third Avenue and Main Street. On the left is Woolworth’s. On the right, Saterlie Drug Store is on the west side of Main Street and Commercial Bank is on the east side of Main Street. Commercial Bank was destroyed by fire in 1981 and the building was razed in 1982. The space is now a park. Just past the bank building you can see the sign for Johnson Furniture at the corner of Third and Lawler. (Courtesy of Mitchell Area Historic Society)
BACK IN TIME: Downtown Christmas circa 1975
December 16, 2013 - 6:54am
December 8, 2013
BACK IN TIME: Mitchell Main Street circa 1910
December 8, 2013 - 10:01pm
December 1, 2013
This photo taken circa 1928 shows horses pulling the last shed out of the bottom where Mitchell Lake is located. The lake was built in 1929. Prior to that the land was owned by the Anderson Family and was farmland. The trees were cut down in the process of preparing the land and were made into lumber to be used in building the house located at 1022 North Main Street in Mitchell. (Photo donated to Mitchell Area Historical Society by Lee Anderson, Spearfish)
BACK IN TIME: Clearing the way for Lake Mitchell
December 1, 2013 - 11:27pm
November 25, 2013
BACK IN TIME: DWU Thanksgiving 1912
November 25, 2013 - 7:48am