Weather Forecast


House fire displaces two in Dallas

DALLAS -- A fire Tuesday night in Dallas destroyed a house and displaced two residents from their home in the small Gregory County town.

0 Talk about it

The Dallas Fire Department was called at 5 p.m. Tuesday to a house fire at 100 Keller Ave.

The home was owned by Richard Zimmerman and his wife, Rebecca. They were not inside the house when emergency personnel arrived and were not injured.

Dallas Fire Department Chief Brad Kahler said the home was already filled with smoke when firefighters arrived on scene.

"It was just engulfed in smoke and we were unable to get inside," said Kahler, adding that firefighters were on the scene for three-and-a-half hours and battled the effects of cold weather on their equipment.

Kahler said it's too early to know what exactly caused the fire, but authorities are looking into the role of the wood stove in the house. No other structures on the property were involved in the fire.

The Gregory Fire Department also responded to the fire.

The American Red Cross was on the scene Wednesday, with staff members from the Mitchell office providing assistance, including clothing, food and lodging for the two displaced individuals.