Weather Forecast


Mitchell man charged with wife’s death

Around the Region

A look at news from around the region, as reported by weekly newspapers:


-FARM AND HOME SHOW CELEBRATES 50 YEARS: The Miner County Farm and Home Show will celebrate its 50th anniversary Thursday, when the annual event is held at the Howard Armory. The one-day show will include entertainment, homemade cooking and commercial booths, in addition to county residents exhibiting their crafts, crops, foods and photography.

0 Talk about it

The event was created in 1964 and moved from a two-day format in 2009. The show starts at 9 a.m. and runs until 8 p.m., with local food served throughout the day.

Miner County Pioneer


-MCCOOK CENTRAL PRINCIPAL HONORED: McCook Central Middle and High School Principal Brad Seamer was named South Dakota Secondary Principal of the Year Jan. 22-24 during the South Dakota Association of Secondary Principals’ conference in Deadwood.

In addition, McCook Central Elementary School Principal Deb Eichacker was nominated for the state’s Innovative Leader award that is given out by the South Dakota Association of Elementary School Principals.

The Salem Special


-AIRPORT TO GET NEW PAVEMENT: The Gregory City Council approved upgrades for the city airport Jan. 21, including $60,000 in maintenance and repairs to the runways at the airport.

The Federal Aviation Administration will cover about 95 percent of the paving cost, thanks to funding from a federal grant. The city will pay the remaining 5 percent, or about $3,000.

Public Works Superintendent Mark Fortuna said the city should consider building small, affordable hangars in the future for visiting aircraft rentals. The current hangar situation becomes tight when visiting hunters want to store their planes inside because the airport has a lessee that already takes up most of the current hangar space.

Gregory Times-Advocate


-NEW OWNERSHIP, DIRECTION FOR RESTAURANT: Temptations will open Tuesday under new ownership, replacing the former Little Brick Ice Cream store. Donna McCullough and Sarah Timmerman are the new owners of the business after buying it from Steve and Mary Frey.

The restaurant will be open Tuesday-Saturday for lunch and supper, offering lunch buffets and broasted chicken to-go or eat-in.

Temptations will continue to serve ice cream, as the Frey family has agreed to continue making Little Brick ice cream for the new business.

The Platte Enterprise


-SCHOOL TO INSTALL NEW SECURITY DOORS: The Armour School District will add more secure doors to its high school and grade school campuses, thanks in part to funding from a safety grant.

New automatically locking doors with card-swiping technology and other safety upgrades will be added to two doors at the high school and a set of doors at the grade school. The project will cost $12,460 and the grant funding will cover about $7,500, with the school district funding the rest of the improvements.

Superintendent Burnell Glanzer said the project will be the first in a five-phase project to improve security at Armour schools.

The Armour Chronicle