City council to discuss nuisance code
The city's 13-page code for nuisances will be a discussion topic when the Mitchell City Council meets at 6 p.m. today at Mitchell City Hall, located at 612 N. Main St. The meeting is being held a day later than usual due to the Labor Day holiday on Monday.
No action will be taken and no specific part of the ordinance was named as being a focus for the discussion. The council updated parts of the ordinance in December 2016, clarifying a number of measures, including proper fencing for storing numerous vehicles, the city's process for appeals and abatement and clarifying what constitutes a nuisance, ranging from standing water to large weeds, animal carcasses to abandoned appliances.
The council will also consider final approval of its updated sidewalk snow and ice removal ordinance. The ordinance is meant to have owners and occupants take on the duty to clear adjacent sidewalks of snow and ice, while more clearly defining sidewalks.
The city also will create special snow removal areas by resolution, which would have areas where the city will assume responsibility for snow and ice removal. The council will open the meeting for public comment on the proposal at that time.
The following items are on the consent agenda to be approved at once at the beginning of the meeting:
• Approve Aug. 20 meeting minutes, minutes from Aug. 13 Planning Commission, Aug. 20 Finance Committee and Aug. 20 Traffic Commission.
• Consider raffle permit from the Longfellow Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization for Oct. 5.
• Appoint Jared Indahl to the Historic Preservation Commission through July 2021.
• Set Sept. 17 for hearings regarding special event liquor licenses at the Overtime Event Center for events Sept. 21-22 and 28-29.
• Set 6 p.m., Sept. 17 as date for public collection hearing for 2017 sidewalk and 2017 nuisance abatement payments.
• Approve change orders for the Corn Palace Plaza project, closing out the project $6,971 under budget, and change orders for an additional $2,466.42 for street and sidewalk work on the Sanborn Boulevard project.
• Declare surplus a 2013 Ford Explorer from the Mitchell Police Division and a Survivair SCBA pack to sell on the city auction.
• Extend First Friday Special Event Permit to include Oct. 5.
• Consider contingency funds to purchase one-ton UTV from federal surplus.
• Approve agreement with S.D. Dept. of Transportation for Burr Street maintenance, encroachment and jurisdiction.
• Approve the following automatic supplements from donations: $3,200 to the parks department for fireworks cleanup; $5,500 to the parks department for tennis court resurfacing; $13,045.20 to the Mitchell Police Division for radar units.
• Pay estimates, bills, payroll, salary adjustments and new employee hires and authorizing payment of recurring and regular expenses.
• Hold Public Health and Safety Committee meeting at 6 p.m.
• Recite Pledge of Allegiance, hear invocation from Reunion Church, roll call, approve consent agenda, hold citizens input.
• Hear Public Health and Safety Committee report.
• Hold public hearing on potential taxicab license revocation for Speedy Taxi business.
• Conduct hearings regarding the following special event liquor licenses: Application from Blarney's Sports Bar and Grill at the Highland Mall on Nov. 30 for Holiday Spirits; applications from the Corn Palace Shrine Club at the Masonic Lodge on Oct. 6 (wedding) and Sept. 8 (National Rifle Association banquet).
• Conduct hearings regarding the following: the application of V.V. Inc., doing business as Outback Casino (508 E. Havens Ave., Suite 2) for a new retail (on-off sale) malt beverage license (not eligible for video lottery); the application to transfer retail (on-sale) liquor license RL-19079 from V.V. Inc., and Outback Casino to V.V. Inc. doing business as Sudz (508/510 E. Havens Ave.); the application to transfer retail (on-sale) wine license RW-23600 from M.G. Oil Company doing business as Village Bowl (1500 N. Duff St., Suite A) to V.V. Inc., and Outback Casino.
• Meeting as the Board of Adjustment, set date for the following hearings for Sept. 17: Tami Dammann has applied for a conditional use permit /home occupation (pheasant cleaning business) at her home located at 412 N. Foster St. (The property is zoned R2 Single Family Residential District.); and Andrew and Kyra Mentele have applied for an oversize variance of 3,024 square feet vs 2,000 square feet as required in order to construct an accessory building at 718 W. Norway Ave. (The property is zoned R2 Single Family Residential District.)
• Meeting as the Board of Adjustment, hold a hearing and consider the application from Dan Fechner (applicant) and Aaron, Jessica, and Shirley Baas (current owners) for a conditional use permit for construction of an assembly hall in the 5600/5700 Block of N. Ohlman St. (The property is zoned UD Urban Development.)
• Action to award bid for rock salt city project No. 2018-27 to Nebraska Salt and Grain Co., of Gothenburg, Neb., at $61.39 per ton and an estimated total cost of $42,973.
• Action to approve release of easement for 1601 Bridle Drive.
• Considering authorization to proceed with additional cost for Corn Palace Plaza alley utility relocation.
• Consider resolution action on the following two plots: No. R2018-48, a plat of Lot 8-A, Block 7 of Westwood First Addition, a subdivision of the southwest quarter of Section 16, Mitchell Township; No. R2018-49, a plat of Lot E of Countryside Addition, a subdivision of Lot 1 in the southeast quarter of Section 16, Prosper Township.
• Hold a first reading on an ordinance for the 2019 annual budget appropriation.
• Hold a first reading on the supplemental budget appropriations for 2018.