Weather Forecast


Ethan man located, in custody after eluding police

Police lights.

An Ethan man who allegedly fled from the courthouse in Mitchell a few weeks ago was arrested Tuesday in Hanson County.

Brian Mattke, 35, was taken into custody by the Hanson County Sheriff's Office and MItchell Police Division on a warrant issued from Davison County.

Mattke was located at approximately 1:20 p.m. Tuesday near the north end of Hanson County, according to Hanson County Sheriff Brandon Wingert.

According to Mitchell Police Lt. Don Everson, police officers showed up to Mattke's place of employment in Hanson County. As Mattke attempted to exit the establishment, he was placed under arrest.

Davison County Sheriff's Office and Mitchell Police had been attempting to locate Mattke since he eluded law enforcement more than two weeks ago.

At approximately 10:32 a.m. on Nov. 7, a Davison County deputy attempted to speak to Mattke at the Davison County Public Safety Center. Mattke was at the courthouse for a scheduled court appearance. Mattke ran from the deputy and entered a maroon colored Buick and drove away, according to court documents. A Mitchell police officer saw the Buick near the area of Fifth Avenue and Burr Street. The officer saw the vehicle traveling at approximately 60 mph in a 25 mph zone. The vehicle was later located parked near the area, but Mattke was not in the vehicle.

In addition to the charge of reckless driving, Mattke is also charged with grand theft of more than $2,500 and less than $5,000 related to a separate incident.

Court documents state in May, a theft of all-terrain vehicle tracks was reported in Mitchell. The tracks were located at a residence in Loomis and the individual at the address told law enforcement he had purchased the tracks from Mattke.

Grand theft of more than $2,500 and less than $5,000 is a Class 5 felony, punishable upon conviction by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable upon conviction by up to one year in jail and a $2,000 fine.