Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Carbon monoxide leak at local business temporarily closes portion of Main Street

Mitchell Fire Department officials blocked off the 300 block of North Main Street on Tuesday afternoon.(Libby Leyden/Republic)

A portion of Mitchell's Main Street was closed Tuesday when an unvented water heater caused a carbon monoxide leak inside a business.

At approximately 4:20 p.m. Tuesday, Mitchell Fire Department and NorthWestern Energy were called to tattoo shop, Hardcore Inc., at 303 N. Main St.

According to Mitchell Battalion Chief Steve Nedved, an unvented water heater in the basement caused carbon monoxide to get sucked into the furnace.

"This is a good reminder to use caution when using alternative heat sources in the winter," Nedved said.

No one was inside the building at the time when the alarm went off and no injuries were reported.

Advertisement
randomness