Industrial heater causes house fire in Plankinton
PLANKINTON — A house on the west side of Plankinton caught fire Saturday when the owner tried to melt ice with an industrial heater.
Ten firefighters responded to the house fire at about 2:45 p.m. on West First Street in Plankinton, where they found smoke coming from the south side of the structure, according to Plankinton Fire Chief Jeff Briggs.
The fire was contained to a small section on the outside of the one-story home and was extinguished in about 10 minutes. Firefighters remained on the scene for about an hour.
Briggs said the fire was caused by an open-flame, industrial outdoor heater, which two women, including the homeowner, were using to melt ice on the structure and in the pipes.
The damage was reserved to the outside, and Briggs expects repairs to cost less than $2,000. No one was injured.
Briggs doesn't expect any criminal charges to be filed. The Aurora County Sheriff's Office and Plankinton Ambulance also responded.