Weather Forecast


GLAD YOU ASKED: Tone of carbon monoxide alarm can reveal what action to take

Q. The carbon monoxide detector in my home went off the other day, but I don’t know if it’s a faulty alarm or if dangerous levels of carbon monoxide actually exist in my house. What should a person do when this happens? Is there someone from the city, or a company in Mitchell, that I can call to come check this out?

A. The following answer comes from Paul Morris, assistant fire chief for the city of Mitchell. “Carbon monoxide (CO) in the home can lead to deadly results. It’s important to read the operator’s manual to understand how your CO detector operates. Most models will emit a short tone or a chirp in the event of a low backup battery. If the alarm from your detector is constant, it’s likely that it’s warning you of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. If this is the case, immediately vacate your home with your family, call 911, and report the problem. The fire department will respond with specialized equipment to check the levels of CO in your home and assist your utility provider in finding the problem.”

Have a question? We’ll find the answer. Send your question or complaint to Glad You Asked, The Daily Republic, P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301, or email it with “Glad You Asked” in the subject line to dailynews@mitchellrepublic. com. Include your name, address and a daytime telephone number, none of which will be published.