The L.O. Gale Building, located on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Main Street, was destroyed by fire in the early-morning hours of April 28, 1908. Gale had constructed the building after the first Corn Palace was torn down and moved to the corner of Fifth Avenue and Main Street. Two businesses were housed in the building at the time. W.H. Bacon had a grocery and bakery store and Mrs. Anderson had a millinery store. Four families resided on the second floor of the building and Mr. and Mrs. Anderson lived on the first floor in the back of their store. All occupants were able to escape the fire thanks to a young boy who worked for Hardy, the baker next door. He lived in the Gale Building and was returning home from work and awoke the residents to warn them of the fire. Firemen were able to rescue some of the millinery goods, but the Bacon’s grocery goods were completely destroyed. To the right is Hardy Bakery and Louis Beckwith’s house, which is now located on the Dakota Discovery Museum site.
Read the article: BACK IN TIME: Early building lost to fire