Mitchell powerlifting club takes fifth at stateMADISON — The Mitchell High School club powerlifting team took fifth place at the state meet Saturday.
By: Sports staff, The Daily Republic
MADISON — The Mitchell High School club powerlifting team took fifth place at the state meet Saturday.
Mitchell had 10 students competing in the event, which is in its 35th year of existence. There were 13 teams and 145 lifters, including 120 boys and 25 girls.
“Our kids had 18 personal records, which was really outstanding,” Mitchell coach Arend Kuyper said. “I was proud of how the kids competed and the hard work they put into it. They did an outstanding job.”
All of the competitors competed in the bench, squat and dead lift. They got three lifts in each event and the highest lift counted toward their total weight.
A coefficient was also determined for each lifter by dividing the lifter’s total pounds lifted by their body weight.
Sioux Falls O’Gorman won the meet, Sioux Falls Roosevelt took second, Dell Rapids was third and Madison was fourth. Team scores were based off point totals given for placing in individual weight classes.
Here are all of Mitchell’s results:
- Sophomore Abby Sudbeck, sixth place, 705 pounds with 4.304 coefficent.
- Junior Gramm Johnson, third place, 625 pounds, with 5.1020 coefficent.
- Junior Austin Weber, fifth place, 585 pounds, with 4.5596 coefficient.
- Junior Nathan Wahlen, 18th place, 730 pounds, 5.1517 coefficient.
- Junior Drake Johnson, 19th place, 720 pounds, 4.8847 coefficient.
- Sophomore Mitch Johnson, fourth place, 1,000 pounds, 6.1087 coefficient.
- Freshman Austin Getty, 15th place, 755 pounds, 4.8035 coefficient.
- Junior Micah Hettinger, fifth place, 1,145 pounds, 5.9948 coefficient.
- Junior Isaiah Munsen, 13th place, 705, 3.6623 coefficient.
- Junior Andrew Getty, fifth place, 1,085 pounds, 5.0348 coefficient.