Catching up: Gullickson helps Augustana to conference winRhianna Gullickson, an Alexandria native and junior for the Augustana College women’s basketball team, scored six points on 3 of 4 shooting with two rebounds in an 82-69 win over Upper Iowa in a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference contest Friday in Sioux Falls.
By: Amanda Hart, The Daily Republic
Rhianna Gullickson, an Alexandria native and junior for the Augustana College women’s basketball team, scored six points on 3 of 4 shooting with two rebounds in an 82-69 win over Upper Iowa in a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference contest Friday in Sioux Falls.
Augustana (20-6, 16-6 NSIC) is currently ranked No. 26 in the USA Today Sports Coaches Top 25 poll.
- Oklahoma State sophomore Caitlin Way threw a personal best and finished first in the women’s weight throw on Feb. 16 at the Sooner Invitational in Norman, Okla.
The former Mitchell Kernel standout launched the second-farthest throw in school history at 18.65/61-02.25, beating her previous personal best by almost a meter.
Way’s mark was also the fifth-best throw in the Big 12 Conference this season.
- Brian Duxbury, a McCook Central graduate, saw action in two games for the Augustana College baseball team on Feb. 15-17 in the Metrodome.
Duxbury, a junior, was 1-for-4 at the plate and scored one run in an 11-7 win over Winona State on Feb. 15 and was 1-for-1 with two put outs in a 6-2 win over Concordia-St. Paul on Feb. 17.
Augustana (8-5) continues its season Saturday when it takes on Drury College in Springfield, Mo.
- South Dakota State junior Andrea Budahl placed third in the 1,650-yard freestyle for the Jackrabbits swimming and diving team at the 2013 Summit League Championships on Feb. 20-23 in Rochester, Mich.
Budahl, a Mitchell native, finished with a time of 17:04.62 in the event, helping the Jacks to a fourth-place finish in the meet. Budahl also finished fifth in the 500-yard freestyle and anchored the 8,000-yard freestyle relay that finished fourth on the day.
Trina Young and Shea Patrick, also Mitchell graduates, had successful days in the pool as well. Young, a sophomore for the Jackrabbit women, finished ninth in the 100-yard butterfly and 16th in the 200-yard individual medley.
Patrick, a senior for the Jackrabbit men, finished third in the 100-yard breaststroke, ninth in the 400-yard individual medley and was the second leg of the Jacks’ 400-yard medley relay team that finished in third.
The SDSU women finished fourth in the championships and the men finished in second.
This was the last meet of the year for South Dakota State.
- University of South Dakota senior Cody Horton competed in the last swimming and diving meet of his career at the Summit League Championships on Feb. 20-23.
Horton, a Mitchell graduate, anchored the Coyotes’ 200-yard freestyle relay that finished sixth with a time of 1:25.23.
Horton was also a member of the 400-yard freestyle relay team that finished sixth with a time of 3:09.27.
The Coyotes finished the Summit League Championships with five individuals, combining to earn eight All-Summit League honors and the men finished in sixth place overall.
- Former Wagner Red Raider Robert Kokesh has won 24 of his last 25 matches for the Nebraska Huskers wrestling team. Kokesh, a sophomore for the Huskers, picked up his 12th win over a ranked opponent with a 7-4 decision over No. 16 Jon Fausey on Feb. 17 at the NWCA National Duals in Ithaca, N.Y.
Kokesh is currently ranked fourth in the nation in the 174-pound weight class and is only one win shy of his 30th of the season.
The Huskers return to action March 9-10 at the Big 10 Championships in Champaign, Ill.