Mitchell school board will discuss $200K MMS library renovationsAs part of its monthly agenda, the board will consider letting bids on the $210,686 project, which is designed by Ciavarella Design of Mitchell.
By: Ross Dolan, The Daily Republic
The Mitchell Board of Education will consider a $200,000 renovation to the Mitchell Middle School library when it meets in regular session today at 5 p.m. in that school’s library.
As part of its monthly agenda, the board will consider letting bids on the $210,686 project, which is designed by Ciavarella Design of Mitchell.
Introductory comments on tonight’s board agenda note that the library is the central academic gathering point for the school. An aesthetically pleasing library would improve school climate and positively affect student literacy. Additionally, since the middle school is at the midway point of its life expectancy, improvements need to be done keep the school functioning well for its entire life.
The district updated heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems at the school last year and the library renovation is the next scheduled update.
About $9,500 has been spent thus far on architectural fees. That expense will come from the district capital outlay budget.
In other business tonight, the board will:
• Consider approving the school calendar for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Hear the district’s 2011-2012 audit report from a representative of the local accounting firm of Endorf, Lurken, Olsen.
• Hear, as part of the superintendent’s report, an update on the status of insurance coverage from the May 5, 2012, hailstorm; as well as an update on school security procedures and facility measures.
The board will also consider the following personnel items as part of a consent agenda:
• Resignations: Doreen Brands, language arts, Mitchell High School; Catherine Frederickson, part-time elementary art, L.B. Williams Elementary School; Kyra Mentele, elementary vocal music, LBW – all effective at the end of the current school year.
• Resignation (extracurricular): Christina Board, ninth grade volleyball coach, pending suitable replacement. Effective at the end of the 2012 -2013 school year.
• Early retirement: Carol Gilman, fourth grade, Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary School, effective at the end of the school year.
• New hires: Clayton Gropper: Mitchell Career and Technical Education Academy, health science instructor, $41,243, effective Aug. 15, 2013; John Sieverding, director of buildings and grounds, $60,000, effective June 1, 2013; Carl Abts, assistant director of buildings and grounds, $32,500, effective June 1, 2013.
• Spring adjunct instructors, Mitchell Technical Institute: Nathan Bowman, instructional media developer, $4,000, effective May 16, 2013; Speech Language Pathology Assistant mentors: Michelle Greseth, Pamela Bonenberger, Kim Cypher, Jennifer Anshutz – all $500 each.