Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from income tax help to gas prices to Wingapalooza.
Things to do
• 20th Annual Chamber Health and Wellness Fair, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mitchell Christian School, Mitchell.
• Frozen Foot 5K Fun Run, 9 a.m. registration, 10 a.m. run starts, Mitchell Christian School, Mitchell.
• Second annual Wingapalooza, noon to 4 p.m., Masonic Temple, Mitchell.
• James River Gobblers NWTF Banquet, 5:30 p.m. doors open, 7 p.m. banquet, Highland Conference Center, Mitchell.
• Family selection meeting for Habitat for Humanity home, 9:30 p.m., First Lutheran Church, Mitchell.
• “Stitch-in-Public Day,” 9 to 11 a.m., Cornerstone Coffee House and Deli, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Singles dance, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., Legion Hall, Ethan.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
INCOME TAX HELP AT JVCC: The Rural Office of Community Services Inc. (ROCS) will be offering free income tax preparation services for the Mitchell area.
The free service, provided through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), will be available at James Valley Community Center, by appointment, during the filing season.
The VITA Certified preparers will prepare 1040 and 1040 EZ tax returns, e-file and arrange direct deposit for eligible tax payers at no charge. Preparers can also offer advice on tax issues and referrals to IRS advisers and advocates on complicated tax issues.
VITA volunteers will ensure that your taxes are prepared efficiently and accurately and help get your tax refund to you in a timely manner.
Appointments can be made by calling 487-7634 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mega Millions: Winning numbers drawn Friday: 1-30-32-40-41; Mega Ball: 17; Megaplier: 3; Estimated jackpot: $13 million.
Mitchell: $3.392 Yankton: $3.355 Rapid City: $2.866 Sioux Falls: $3.470 State: $3.281 National: $3.462
Today in local history
A land swap was rejected by the Mitchell City Council on this date in 2009. The wooded tract belonging to the city was the subject of a proposed trade with a private citizen for land adjacent to the Pepsi-Cola Soccer complex.