Friend de Coup takes third in OmahaMitchell’s show choir band takes ‘Best Band’ honors.
By: Ross Dolan, The Daily Republic
Mitchell High School’s Friend de Coup show choir placed in the top three Saturday in the Omaha West Side Competition of Excellence for its first outing of the 2013 competition season.
“It was a great showing for our kids in their first time out,” said Chris Miller, vocal director.
Miller said his choir took third place honors in Omaha, and the FDC band took “Best Band” honors. Lincoln Southwest High School, Lincoln, Neb., took first place, and Central High School of Keller, Texas, took second.
“It was very competitive,” said Miller. “Many groups that normally make the finals went home early this year. We were honored to make the final cut and come away with a third place and Best Band honors.”
The best band award was a credit to Julie Van Gorpen and her students, Miller said.
“We’re ready to take what we’ve learned and move forward with the next four competitions,” he said.
FDC’s show set is titled “Money, Success, Fame and Glamor.” Musical arrangements are by Heath Ewing, and choreography is by Stephen Todd, both Mitchell High graduates now living in Minneapolis.
The remaining Friend de Coup season includes the following competitions:
• Feb. 9: Lacrosse Logan (HS) Invitational, LaCrosse Wis.
• Feb. 23: Vermillion High School, Rhythm in Red Invitational.
• March 2: Totino Grace (HS) Spectacular, Fridley, Minn.
• March 9: Wheaton Warrenville South Choral Classic, Wheaton, Ill.
• March 16: CP – Mitchell Show Choir Classic, 18 groups. Mitchell will host and perform, but will not compete.