Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a pancake and sausage feed to Women in Blue Jeans to a gluten free support group.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile, 8:30 to 8:55 a.m.; Little Learners, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Emery.
• Jerauld County Conservation District Workshop, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Springs Inn, Wessington Springs.
• Legion Post No. 5 of Plankinton pancake and sausage feed, 5 to 7 p.m., Al’s I-90 Café, free will offering.
• Dakota Counseling Institute board of directors meeting, noon, Pathway, Mitchell.
• Job Search Assistance Program, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 51 S. Third Ave., Lake Andes.
• Benefits specialist from DSS Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., itinerant office, Woonsocket.
• 10th annual Women in Blue Jeans Conference, Highland Conference Center, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Disability Peer Support Group pizza party, 5:30 p.m., $3 per person, Community Room, Greenridge Apartments, Mitchell.
• Gluten Free of South Dakota support group meeting, 6 p.m., Conference Room 1, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• Open Bridge, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., $5 entry fee, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialist from DSS Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., itinerant office, Plankinton.
• Benefits specialist from DSS Division of Economic Assistance available, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., itinerant office, Howard.
• Mitchell Area Right to Life meeting, 6:45 p.m., conference room, Holy Family Church, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., PO Box 1288, Mitchell, SD, 57301.
Things to remember
BBBS PLANS “WINTER ESCAPE:” Big Brothers Big Sisters “Winter Escape” will be held on Saturday, Jan. 19, at Village Bowl, Mitchell.
Mega Millions: Winning numbers drawn Tuesday: 01-06-12-19-41; Mega Ball: 14. Estimated jackpot: $62 million.
The estimated population of Davison County for 2011 is 19,651. The state of South Dakota’s population is estimated at 824,082, according to the 2012 S.D. Kids Count Factbook.
Today in local history
A 20th century road system and not enough money for 21st century upgrades was the reason given for Davison County road problems on this date in 2008. No exceptions for spring weight limits on county paved roads were granted at a county meeting, causing some concern from area road users.