Winner native Docken picks up two wins for AugustanaWinner native Jayd Docken won his ninth and 10th matches of the season last weekend at Concordia-Moorhead and University of Mary. Docken, a sophomore wrestler for Augustana College, is currently ranked fifth in the 197-pound class.
By: By AMANDA HART, For The Daily Republic
Winner native Jayd Docken won his ninth and 10th matches of the season last weekend at Concordia-Moorhead and University of Mary. Docken, a sophomore wrestler for Augustana College, is currently ranked fifth in the 197-pound class.
Against Concordia-Moorhead, Docken won by a 15-6 major decision, securing the team victory for the Vikings. Against Mary, Docken won by forfeit, giving helping Augustana to another win.
On the season, the Vikings are 4-1 in duals and 1-0 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference action. Docken and Augustana return to the matt Saturday for the National Wrestling Coaches Association/Cliff Keen National Duals.
- With the help of two Mitchell graduates, the South Dakota State University women’s swimming team placed fourth last weekend at the Tampa Relays in Tampa, Fla.
Andrea Budahl, a junior for the Jackrabbits, was a part of the SNARF relay that finished third with a time of 5:35.48. The 3x100 butterfly relay team finished fourth in the meet with the help of Trina Young, now a sophomore for the Jacks.
Rice, of Texas, won the meet with 126 points, followed by host Tampa with 98 points and SUNY Geneseo third with 66. SDSU placed fourth with 56.
- On the men’s side, the SDSU men’s swimming team won one event at the Tampa Relays and claimed runner-up finishes in five other relays on their way to a second-place overall finish.
Mitchell native Shea Patrick, a senior, was a member of the 400 medley relay team that finished second with a time of 3:41.56. Patrick is also a member of the 400 individual medley relay team that finished second with a time of 3:50.84.
The Jackrabbits return to dual action Saturday at South Dakota.
- Marie Malloy, a Parkston native and true freshman for the University of Sioux Falls women’s basketball team, played 19 and 22 minutes in two games over the weekend against Upper Iowa University and Winona State. The Cougars went 1-1 over the weekend as Malloy had two assists and one steal in a 70-68 win over Upper Iowa and five points and two rebounds in a 47-44 loss to Winona State.
The Cougars are 6-5 overall, 3-4 in the NSIC and return to action Friday when they host Min-nesota-Duluth at the Stewart Center in Sioux Falls.
- Mitchell native Austin Loes was named the Pizza Hut player of the week from the Superior International Junior Hockey League. The award was announced Monday.
A former Mitchell Marlins hockey player, Loes scored two goals in the Duluth Clydesdales’ lone game of the week. One of the goals was the game-winner, and he also had three assists in helping his team to a 9-3 win over Thunder Bay. The victory helped the Clydesdales end an 18-game winless streak. In his first seven games with Duluth, Loes has nine points, including a three-game point streak.
- Trevor Flemmer, a Mitchell native who’s playing basketball for the Presentation men, has seen action in six games this season for the Saints.
Flemmer is a 6-foot-4 freshman forward. He played seven minutes in back-to-back games against Providence on Sunday and Monday, scoring two points, recording two rebounds and having one assist.
Presentation is 9-8 on the season and plays at Manhattan Christian Friday in Manhattan, Kan.