Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from basketball to Dueling Pianos to New Year's Eve.
Things to do
• Mike Miller Classic, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Corn Palace, Mitchell.
• Pre-New Year’s Eve Bash, 7:30 p.m., social hour; 9 p.m., Dueling Pianos show, Highland Conference Center, Mitchell.
• Christmas Carol Hymn Sing, 9 a.m., Salem Lutheran Church ELCA, Parkston.
• Joe Kick Azz, playing from 9:30 p.m. to close, Thirsty’s, Mitchell. $5 cover.
• The Renegades with Hadley Moody, playing from 9:30 p.m. until 1:30 a.m., Blarney’s, Mitchell. No cover.
• Time Bomb, playing from 9 p.m. until 2 a.m., American Legion, Mitchell.
• High Low Draw Doubles Dart Tournament, noon signup and 1 p.m. start, $10 per person, Moonlight Bar and Lounge, Mitchell. To submit items for “Things to do,” email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Mitchell: $3.216 Sioux Falls: $3.195 Rapid City: $2.977 State: $3.179 National: $3.279
According to www.50states.com, the South Dakota town of Lemmon’s mark of distinction is its world’s largest petrified wood park.
Fossilized remains of life 50 million years ago have been arranged in unusual forms.
Today in local history
On this date in 2010, it was reported that Davison County commissioners agreed in a 4-1 vote to pay $575,000 for the Central Electric Cooperative office building at 1420 N. Main St. in Mitchell.
The property consisted of four contiguous lots and 15,615 square feet of building space, which included 6,000 square feet of office space.
The rest of the building space consisted of heated and unheated garages.
Central Electric planned to vacate the property when it moved to a new headquarters southwest of Mitchell.