Doctor may assist Mitchell ambulance to improve servicesThe Mitchell City Council is preparing to hire a doctor to serve in a part-time capacity as medical director for the Mitchell Regional Ambulance.
By: Tom Lawrence, The Daily Republic
The Mitchell City Council is preparing to hire a doctor to serve in a part-time capacity as medical director for the Mitchell Regional Ambulance.
Tonight, the council will consider approving an independent contractor agreement for professional services for a medical director with Dr. Martin J. Christensen. He will be asked to act as an adviser on emergency medical service and develop and review standards.
“The City desires to continue in the improvement of the delivery of emergency medical services to the citizens of the City of Mitchell and the surrounding area,” the contract states.
A proposed one-year contract, which would be automatically renewed if neither side objects, is proposed. Christensen would be paid $500 per month.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall Council Chambers, 612 N. Main St.
The council will also:
• Hear a report on the opening of sealed bids for the sale of city land at the southwest intersection of Burr and Ash that has been declared surplus property. The bids will be opened at 1:30 p.m. today at City Hall.
• Discuss options for a construction manager for the upcoming addition of a second sheet of ice for the Mitchell Activities Center.
• Discuss the proposed altered Mitchell Historic Commercial District, which would include City Hall.
The South Dakota Historical Society Board of Directors is recommending adding the city building to the National Register of Historic Places. Last month, the council voted 6-1 to ask the state board not to do so.
• Hold a hearing on the petition of R & S Rental, CJM Consulting LLC, Dennis Hartman, Diane Hartman, David Harris and Karie Harris for a vacation of a portion of a street located on East Hanson Avenue.
The council will then consider adopting Resolution 3055, the vacation of a public right-of-way, to close, or vacate, a section of the street.
• Award bids for the City Cemetery hay land lease, City Project 2013-5.
• Consider adopting Resolution 3056, an addendum to Tax Increment Financing District 16 project plan.
• Consider adopting Resolution 3057, the 2013 salary resolution for city employees.
• Consider authorizing Finance Officer Marilyn Wilson to create a capital project funds for 534 Starlight Estates, Tax Increment Financing District 18.
• Consider adopting Resolution 3058, interim financing of $15,000 for the Starlite Estates project, TIF District 18. The money will come from the General Fund, and will be repaid when increment tax dollars come in.
• Consider adopting Resolution 3059, the ratification of union contracts with the three city unions that cover Police Division employees, Fire Division employees, and general city employees.
The council offered a 3 percent raise earlier this year. No figures were released in the agenda, but it states that copies of the contracts will be kept at City Hall.
• Hold the second reading of and consider adopting Ordinance 2420, supplemental appropriations for numerous city departments and divisions.
• Hold the first reading of Ordinance 2421, amending City Code 8-1-1, adding minimum design standards for city streets.
All streets that are reconstructed must be 36 feet or wider. New streets must be 40 feet or wider
Residential streets must have 8 inches of base and 3 inches of asphalt; commercial streets must have 12 inches of base and 4 inches of asphalt.
• Authorize Gary Larson, CPA, to conduct the audit for 2012 fiscal year. He will be paid $23,000.
• Review raffle requests from Mitchell Community Scholarship Fund, with the drawing to be held Feb. 25; James River Gobblers-NWTF, with the drawing to be held Feb. 2; James River Valley Chapter-Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, with the drawing to be held March 22.
• Hear a report from the Sidewalk Committee, which will meet at 7 p.m. to discuss 2012 sidewalk projects, and consider hazardous sidewalk and 2013 sidewalk projects.
• Approve November reports from the Police and Fire divisions, Mitchell Regional Ambulance, the Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department, Palace Transit, the Water Division, Mitchell Regional Airport, and the Lake Mitchell Advisory Committee, as well as November building permits. October reports from the Finance Department and Airport Board, and September reports from the Golf & Cemetery Department will also be approved.
• Approve these pay estimates: Lake Mitchell bike path, PH II Project 2010-1, contracted to Robert Johnson Construction. Pay estimate 5, final, $32,006.74. Ash and Langdon sidewalk, project 2012-4A, contracted to Colwell Concrete Inc. Pay estimate 11, $1,992. Gamble, Eighth and Mentzer sidewalks, Project 2012-4B, contracted to Big O Concrete. Pay estimate 8, $4,467.76 Norway lift station, project 2012-33, contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 8, $3,800. Capital Street utilities and street, Project 2013-6, contracted to SPN & Associates. Pay estimate 1, $5,300. Airport snow removal equipment building, Project AIP ’25, contracted to Mueller Lumber Company. Pay estimate 4, $149,449. Airport SRE building, Project AIP ’25, contracted to Helms & Associates. Pay estimate 5, $6,156.44.
• Hear an invocation from a Word of Life representative.