Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from a Blue Christmas service to a book signing to a blood drive.
Things to do
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library Bookmobile, 8 to 8:15 a.m., Diamond Care; 8:15 to 8:30 a.m., Learning Bridge; 8:45 a.m. to 2 p.m., Bridgewater.
• Lutheran Social Services Holiday Open House, 4 to 6 p.m., LSS offices, 2nd floor of Wells Fargo Bank, Mitchell.
• Bingo, 7 p.m., doors open at 6 p.m., $1 per card, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
• 30 point pitch games, 1 p.m., $1 per player, James Valley community Center, Mitchell.
• Hanson-McCook Regional Library bookmobile, 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hanson.
• “Santa on the Roof” blood drive, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., United Blood Services collection center, Mitchell.
• Bingo, 1 p.m., $1 per card or six for $5, James Valley Community Center, Mitchell.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., PO Box 1288, Mitchell, SD, 57301.
Things to remember
PARKSTON CHURCH PLANS “BLUE CHRISTMAS” SERVICE: A community “Blue Christmas” service will be held at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 19, at the Salem Lutheran Church (ELCA).
This is an ecumenical service to acknowledge loss, grief and difficulties in life.
HOWARD COFFEHOUSE HOLDS BOOK SIGNING: Steve Riedel, Huron, author of “A Homestead Holiday,” will be available to sign books from 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 21, at Higher Grounds Coffee Co., Howard.
Powerball: 15-23-40-44-55; Powerball, 14. Est. jackpot, $50M.
Dakota Cash: 7-10-12-25-29. Est. jackpot, $101,000.
Hot Lotto: 3-20-21-24-39; Hot ball, 4. Est. jackpot, $7.5M.
Mega Millions: 11-28-33-41-43; Megaball, 41; Megaplier, 4. Est. jackpot, $12M.
WildCard 2: 4-5-16-29-31; Wildcard, Jack of Hearts. Est. jackpot, $445,000.
Today is Wright Brothers Day. They made their first flights on December 17, 1903, at Kitty Hawk, N.C. Orville flew an experimental plane, the Wright Flyer, 120 feet in 12 seconds; Wilbur flew 852 feet in 59 seconds. They made two other short flights with the Flyer before an ocean gust lifted and badly damaged the plane.
Today in local history
On this date in 2009, the City Council announced the plans for a new water tower on the south edge of Mitchell by Interstate 90. Funded by a State Revolving Fund Loan, the $1.756 million water tower will feature a Corn Palace logo on both the east and west sides.