Good morningDaily digest: Things to know for the day ahead, from Wrap It Up Weekend to Turkey Bingo to Sugar and Spice Day.
Things to do
• Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss support group meeting, 7 p.m., Conference Room 1, Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, Mitchell.
• Christmas at the Carnegie, 7 p.m., Mitchell barbershop chorus and pianist Wanema Wieczorek, cash donation of bag of groceries for Mitchell Food Pantry, Carnegie Resource Center, Mitchell.
• Christmas program, 7 p.m., Faith Missionary Church, Mitchell.
• Benefits specialists from Department of Social Services’ Division of Economic Assistance available, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., itinerant office, Armour.
• Department of Human Services’ Division of Rehabilitation Services Board of Vocational Rehab quarterly board meeting, 1:15 to 5 p.m., Cedar Shore Resort, Oacoma.
• Mitchell Area Disability Peer Support Group Christmas party, 6:30 p.m., Community Room, Greenridge Apartments, Mitchell.
• Mitchell Area Neuropathy Support Group meeting, 2 p.m., Mary Lou Greenway presenting, Countryside Living Community Room, Mitchell.
• National Association of Retired Federal Employees meeting, 11:30 a.m., Marlin’s Restaurant, Mitchell.
• Mitchell’s Wrap It Up Weekend, businesses throughout town, Mitchell.
• LifeServe Blood Bank blood drive, 2 to 5 p.m., in bloodmobile at County Fair Foods, Mitchell.
• The Dakota War, winter lecture series, 2 p.m., Prehistoric Indian Village, Mitchell.
• DHS’ Division of Rehabilitation Services Board of Vocational Rehab quarterly board meeting, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Cedar Shore Resort, Oacoma.
To submit items for “Things to do,” email email@example.com or mail to The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., P.O. Box 1288, Mitchell, S.D., 57301.
Things to remember
ALEXANDRIA CHURCH HOSTS SUGAR AND SPICE DAY: The annual Sugar and Spice Day will be from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15, at United Methodist Church, Alexandria.
There will be cookies, bars, candy, breads and snacks available. The event is sponsored by Alexandria United Methodist Women.
TURKEY BINGO SET AT LETCHER: Turkey bingo will be held with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. and bingo beginning at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Community Building, Letcher. Santa will be available from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday at the Community Center. Both events are sponsored by the Letcher American Legion.
Mega Millions: No winner Tuesday; numbers: 39-44-51-52-54; Megaball: 13; Megaplier: 4; estimated jackpot: $35 million.
Powerball: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday were not available when this edition went to press. Estimated jackpot: $50 million.
Dakota Cash: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 10-12-16-19-20; estimated jackpot: $87,000.
Wild Card 2: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday were not available when this edition went to press. Estimated jackpot: $410,000.
Hot Lotto: Winning numbers drawn Wednesday: 7-24-27-31-34, Hot Ball: 19; estimated jackpot: $6.98 million.
On this date in 1636, the Massachusetts Bay Colony organized three militia regiments to defend the colony against the Pequot Indians. This organization is recognized today as the U.S. National Guard.
Today in local history
Thunderous “booms” were reported on this date in 2007, throughout the city of Mitchell. The Department of Public Safety received numerous reports, as did The Daily Republic. The consensus was that the noises were caused by sonic booms, not explosions.